Chapter 61: Deafening Silence

Start from the beginning

"So that's what this is all about him isn't it? " He says humorlessly, "It's always been about him hasn't it?"

"It's about the fact that you almost killed him." I say, "It's about the fact-"

"No it's not!" He says,"It's always been about him. Before this you had known all along that he was the one who was driving the car. But you didn't care because you were willing-"

"I checked dammit!" I say admitting one of my more darker moments. Of course it had crossed my mind that Jake may have done it on purpose and I had checked that day in the hospital itself. I'd always cursed myself afterwards ashamed that I would even think of him doing something like that. That he would be that careless, that dumb ,"I saw the file. There was no sign of DUI in his file."

"He changed my report with bribing." He says,"He could have changed his."

"But he didn't did he?" I say,"I didn't check yours because I believed your story blindly. How could you ever be so dumb how could you, Alec Evans ever be so careless? But in the end it was you and you lied to me about it."

"Jake asked me to." He says.

"So what?" I yell,"You could have told me-"

"And it wouldn't make any difference." He yells,"What was the point of telling you when you would hate me either way."

"Because it's the right thing to do!" I yell,"You've always done the right thing, you've-you've-"

You've always done the right thing.

He slept with Michella.
He chose Natalie.
He used my best friend.
No he's never done the right thing I had just been blind to all his faults.

I hope when you finally realise what he's done you think it's worth it. Worth losing your friends over.

I'd told Rebecca about Jeremy. No I hadn't just told her, I had thrown it on her face just to defend Alec because I- I thought Alec was worth defending.

And I was wrong.

"I didn't know how to tell you." He says,"How was I supposed to tell you that I fucked up so badly?"

"It was better than hiding behind Jake." I say,"Than saying he was the one-"

"He was the one who offered." Alec interrupts,"I think I owed him after almost killing-"

"Listen to yourself!" I say,"You can't blame this on him. You were the coward, he just gave you an easy way out and you-"

"He only gave me the way out because he thought it would effect you." He says,"But it really doesn't matter anyway you're going to choose him anyway no matter what he does because-"

"I just ruined my friendship with the one person who is better than both of you combined." I say,"I did it because I believed in you. Not Jake but you."

"You slept with Samantha and you broke her heart just like you did with me." I say,"What kind of person does that make you? You think you're better than Jake-"

"I'd thought you were better than him." He says,"You've changed Clara and the old you would have understood why I hid it from you-"

"There is no old me." I cry out,"Don't you get it? This is me. This has always been me and that's always been you. We've just been too blind when it comes to each others faults-"

"Each others faults?" Alec accuses,"You've thrown all of my mistakes in my face and made a point to rub it in."

"And you basically called me a slut for sleeping with a boy that's not you." I say,"What did you want me to do Alec wait for you until you finally noticed me? I slept with Jake because it was my choice and it was my right."