Slow Dancing in a Burning Room

I wasn't really going to update tonight but I figured why not because I have like nothing to do :-/

Katy's POV

Angela was coming over today along with a few of my best friends who I haven't seen in what feels like ages. There was something special about each of them that brought me either joy or happiness; I needed that right now. But I also wanted them to meet John too. I knew Angela might be a little upset, realizing I moved on so quickly in such a little amount of time. But the truth is, no one gives me that unfamiliar gut feeling that he's he one besides John. I knew when my parents find out they'd be upset with me, especially because they never really approved of any guy I dated, not even now. It was upsetting me more than it should right now because I found a guy I'm truly and deeply in love with, and they didn't know a single thing yet. I was going to wait a few more months to tell them, maybe at Christmas when the whole family was together, but surely not now.

I fiddled with my fingers, anxiously waiting for my sister and the rest of my friends while lying in Johns lap, cuddling my head into his chest. I knew he could tell something was wrong, but maybe too shy to ask? It was bothering me that he was being so quiet. But it could also just be my nerves right now. "You alright, baby?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows and running my hands through his now short hair. I may or may not have encouraged him to cut it, but that doesn't really matter does it?

He meets my eyes, looking exhausted but oddly  present at the same time. "Of course I am, Katy. Why wouldn't I be?" He asked. I knew I was overthinking this and I shouldn't be. I just wanted everything to be perfect though I knew it wouldn't be. It was a habit that I was yet to get rid of.

I shake my head foolishly, biting my lip and pulling myself closer to him. "I don't really know. I'm just being--" I was interrupted by the  infamous spud of the doorbell. Great. John's gonna hate me. Of course he knew he was meeting all of them, he just didn't know how nervous I was about it.

He smirked, making me go wide eyed in embarrassment. I wish this was just over with already. "Beat you to the door." He teased playfully, causing me to begin to chase him, also blocking him from the door.

"Hey! Don't, John." I giggled while chasing after him but stumbling over my own feet, almost falling. He caught me, laughing at my clumsy self. For a second there we had a little moment, losing ourselves in each other's eyes. But I quickly snapped out of it and quickly kissed his cheek on my tippy toes.

Once I opened the door I was greeted by Angela and a few of my other friends, bombarding me with hugs and hellos. "Hi!" I squeal, hugging one by one tightly and opening the door for them to go inside. I could tell they all looked at John weirdly, staring at him up and down, but somehow it didn't bother me. I'm sure they're just being over protective.

I led all of them into the backyard where there was pizza and drinks on the table beside the pool. I knew this was gonna be fun even though it wasn't just girls this time. But I was mostly hoping they took notice of my liking towards John.

John had sat down at one of the patio chairs near the back door, away from my friends. I was currently sitting next to Mia in a circle with the rest of the girls, chatting amongst ourselves and enjoying each other's company. I felt bad that John had to sit alone but I also didn't want to ruin my precious time with my friends. I glanced over at him for about the fifth time, not really listening to them talk. It wasn't that I wasn't interested, I just had my mind set to something else. "Excuse me for a sec?" I ask, realizing that I interrupted Cleo but didn't really seem to care. They all nod their heads and I get up from my seat, keeping my eyes on John as I made my way over to him. He looked upset but wasn't doing much, not even on his phone which I found odd. Once I met his eyes again I sat in his lap, startling him a bit but he quickly warmed up to me, wrapping his arm around me. "You wanna go say hi to them?" I ask, runny no my hand up and down his neck as he held me closer to him.

"I guess so." He half smiled as I got up from his lap but stopping him once he stood up. "I love you." I whisper, kissing his lips again and putting my arms on both of his shoulders. I was really hoping they would like him. Maybe not as much as I did at first but hopefully enough.

He grasped my hand, slowly lacing his fingers through mine as we walked towards all of them. I put a smile on my face, attempt no to hide my nervousness that was going to overtake my body in a minute or two if I didn't calm myself down. "Hi again." I begin, laughing it off a little at first. I felt John tightly squeeze my hand, caressing the back of it with his thumb. "I'm sure most of you have heard of John." I say, looking up at him like it was the end of the world. He looked down at me, smiling and pulling me by my waist protectively.

They all smile at us which I was thankful of. But I still didn't know how any of them felt. For all I know they could just be faking. They know Johns reputation with women, especially Angela. My stomach seems to drop o the ground when I see the expression that's plastered on her face. It wasn't at all what I expected, or at least hoping for. It was more like the completely opposite. Her approval was the most important to me. She was my older sister.

"Well... anyway... Sorry for interrupting." I say awkwardly, turning back around to go back into the house. I felt like crying. Her reaction was killing me inside and I didn't want her to disapprove of me and my life decisions because she was the most important to me no matter what and so was her opinion.

"Katy? What's wrong?" John asks me, following me into the bathroom. I knew I was probably behind over dramatic to him but to me I was just upset. This was an awful situation that I knew I wasn't going to easily get myself out of. "Katy..."

"What John?" I ask, turning away from him and rubbing my eyes. I knew the tears were coming but I was trying my hardest to prevent them.

He makes me face him, turning my body around to meet his eyes that I could stare into for hours on end without even knowing. He was perfect in every single way possible and then there was me. An emotional wreck that needs to get their life sorted out before falling for someone like John Mayer. "Are you crying?" He asks, snaking his arms around my lower waist and bringing his large, warm hand to my neck.

I sniffle, rubbing my nose and staring at the ground. Looking at him would just make me more upset, but why? Why was I being like this? "No. No, I'm not crying." I reply, shaking my head. "I'm not crying." I said repeatedly, running my fingers through my silky black hair. He stared at me blankly, sighing and backing away from me. He turned the other way, pacing arms the bathroom. I knew he was getting frustrated with me and that was the last thing I wanted.

"Is it Angela?" He asks. I stop for a second, wondering how he could figure this out so quickly. This wasn't going to end how I wanted it to.

"How'd you know?" I question while sitting myself down at the edge of the bathtub, placing my head in my hands. I was getting stressed out for the stupidest reason. The worst part is, Angela doesn't know how much I really love him. But why was I so focused on her approval?

"She doesn't like me does she?" He raised his voice broadly, casing me to look up at him. I shut my eyes tightly, rubbing them and wanted to pinch myself thinking this was a dream, but it surely wasn't.

Having a guy be mad at you is the worst, especially when they don't know how much you really love them.

"No." I was really ashamed at this point. Why couldn't Angela just be happy for me? But then I remembered all of the trouble I put her through. At the time I never wanted her to take care of me like she did 24/7, but without it I don't think I would be here.

"But why does that matter so much to you, Katy?" I was shocked. But why did he have to be like this?; So aggressive and angry at me.

"Maybe because she's my sister and her approval matters more to me than anyth-" I was really trying to stay calm but it wasn't really working much.

"Why should it matter to you if we love each other?"

He made a point. A point that I would forever ask myself.