Shadow Days

John's POV

"Now what?" Katy asks with a smile on her face as her rain drops from her hair onto the crimson colored balanced that was loosely wrapped around her petite body. She looked so innocent wen when she wasn't in her best looking state. She looked perfect to me and that was all that mattered.

"Right now I think I like you Miss Perry", I grinned, tracing random patterns on her bare shoulder with my fingers. Her face went from happy to sad in the shortest amount of time. I immediately questioned myself on what I may had done wrong just now, but never thought of it as wrong or insulting. I said I like her.

"You think you like me?" she asked me with a sarcastic look on her beautiful face. I wondered what was wrong. I didn't want to say anything too much or too little at this point. I just wanted to keep it simple.

She shook her head at me. The muscles around her jaw got noticeably tighter and bigger. She looked mad. "Katy.. I like you. What's wrong with th--" I spoke. Somehow that made her even more mad or sad or whatever she was feeling and she angrily attempted to walk out of the car. I didn't know where she was going because she didn't even have a car. God... now I'm just being a complete asshole.

"I think it would be better if I just leave," She spits, throwing the blanket at my face and slamming my car door shut. The guilt soon swept over me like a large gust of wind. I still didn't know what I was doing wrong. I was really hoping I could develop a relationship with her without any trouble, but I obviously had to ruin it right away like I almost always do.

My conscious told me to open that door and tell her how I truly feel. I don't know how she'll feel but I know sooner or later I'm going to have to break it to her. I want to wait and find the absolute perfect time to say it instead of just out of the blue. I want her to know that I actually do mean it in the most genuine way possible. It's just not as easy as it may seem.

"Katy... you know I didn't mean it like that." I apologize, finally meeting her eyes again. The cold rain continued to pour on to both of our bodies as Katy started to become more and more and mad at me.

"Of course you did. Now just leave me alone, John. Okay?" She practically growls at me. My mind was going towards so many different directions. I didn't know if I should really leave her alone or I should continue to explain her that I didn't mean it.

"Ok but i don't understand why you're getting so heated about it", I explain, causing her to lose focus of my words and facing away from me. I quickly realized she was crying and placed my hand on her shoulder, trying to cheer her up.

"Because..." She began as she turned around to face me, her eyes red and her cheeks stained with tears. "Because I'm scared!" She admitted. I frowned at her, immediately trying to figure out why she was scared. Was she scared of me? Was she scared of our relationship?

I sighed and crossed my arms, beginning to get angry. "What?! Why are you scared?!" My blood boiled as I ran my hand through my soaking wet hair, trying to talk through the pouring rain. I learned in the past to never get this mad at a woman, and especially not at Katy. I'm going to ruin things with her before they even start. what am I doing?

"I can't say." She says, disappointed in me as well as herself. I wanted to know what was wrong so I could help her. Maybe I'm not that kind of guy though. Maybe I'm not that guy that is always there for a woman but I do try my best. I'll do whatever it takes to develop a romantic relationship with Katy. I've never met anyone like her. There's no one out there who's just as beautiful as her or smiles like her, or has a better personality than she does. She's definitely a one of a kind but she's hard to catch so I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to tell her how I really feel.

"Well god damnit." She whispers to herself, rubbing her forehead and wiping the tears from under her eyes. "It's because I don't want to get hurt again." Her eyes trail upwards and towards a car coming toward her. "I think it's better if we just forget about this." She says. "You know, if we just forget about this whole thing. For now?"

And those were her last words to me. I thought I was in love again, and I was.
I was surely madly in love with her but it's obvious she didn't feel the same way I did. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. Or maybe it wasn't what I thought it was. Maybe to her it was just a stupid friendship that never worked or possibly an unnecessary reason to love someone.

I haven't felt this heartbroken in a while. It feels like someone just stabbed me in the back. Turns out I'm not even mad at her. I'm just confused and upset that she would think that way towards me. Why would she think I would hurt her?

Katy's POV

"Drive!" I snap at my assistant Tamra. Her hands shake as her foot stops on the gas petal, making her car immediately start zooming out of the beach parking lot.

When we hit the freeway, I start to think about John and how I totally flipped out on him. I didn't really do it for our sake but more for my sake. Maybe it's time to start thinking about myself rather than everyone else. It's what I've always done and it ruins my relationships with everyone. Worrying about my relationship with John is the last thing I want to think about right now. He's an amazing person with such kind heart but I don't think it's the right time to begin a relationship like that right now. I was just stupid and need time to myself at this point in my life.

"What's up with you?" Tamra asked. I didn't mind her asking because she was like a sister to me or a mother. She just gets so worried about me and it bothers me a little more than it should.

"I sorta just ended my relationship with John." I said disappointedly. I was a little bit ashamed as well.

She frowned an kept her eyes on the road, continuing to take me back home. "But I thought you liked him."

"Yeah." I sigh, staring at the water droplets fall from the car window. "I do. I really like him actually."

"So why did you end things with him so quickly?"

"I got scared." I replied almost immediately after she finished her sentence. I couldn't believe myself. I was such a chicken. Why would I do something like that. I fall for a guy so quickly and then right after I panic and chicken out like some child. "Fuck Tamra what do I do?!" I shout, kicking her dashboard, making her almost jump out of her seat.

"I think you need to calm down. But if you really wanna know what I think... well then I think you should spend some time by yourself. You know, just to think about things. And then when you think you're mentally and emotionally ready for a relationship like that then you can go right ahead. Just do not rush anything. Relationships are hard work." She explains to me, and I knew she did have a really important point. I know I should spend time by myself but that's what I've been doing for the past year. I thought I was ready for a relationship like this but maybe I'm not. It all just happened too quickly. Maybe John's not the guy for me...

John's POV

I don't know how long I stood there. I wasn't heartbroken. I was hurt. I've waited my whole life to find someone like Katy and she just left me before I could even say I loved her. Ok, maybe I shouldn't have said it so soon but eventually I was going to say it. I was going to tell her how I really felt and how I wanted her in my life forever. But maybe her leaving was just God's sign to me saying that we aren't really meant to be. I don't know how I'm ever going to find a woman like Katy. I'm sure she'll come around. But there's always that constant nagging in my head that maybe she won't. Otherwise... I know I want her. I need her. I can't force anything but I can prove to her that we are meant to be.