Thirty Seven

I walked following the red marks. It was taking forever and I wanted to turn back around.

I continued walking looking up ahead to see I was close.

I came to a stop when there was a blanket on the floor. I walked up to it. There was a basket.

Was this it?

I kneeled down on the blanket and opened up the basket.

There was a piece of paper, I took it out and read it.

Hello beautiful,
I'm very sorry I couldn't make it on your special day. I couldn't get an early flight back to Cali but I'll see you in two weeks. I'll make it up to you when I get back home to see your beautiful face. Happy birthday and enough this picnic, with someone I know you have missed so much. I love you. Don't forget that.
Yours truly ,
Jai xoxo

"Someone I've missed?" I asked confused.

I felt someone jump on my back. I screamed a little because I didn't know who it was. It could be a murderer or something along those lines.

I heard a familiar yet unfamiliar laugh.

I smiled and turned around.

We both smiled at each other and hugged.

I kissed her forehead.

"Ashley!" I touched her face to make sure it was her and not that I'm imagining things.

"That's me!" She laughed.

"How did you get here?" I asked still confused.

"Well, first I got on a car, then a plane and then a car again. Went to the hotel and then I came here in a Car"

"Who came with you?" I asked.

"Melanie" she smiled.

Melanie was dads new wife.

I probably would be lying if I said I didn't miss both my parents together because I truly do.

My mother changed ever since they got divorce. I barely saw Ashley.

"How is it?" I asked her.

"Great!" She sat down. "I'm hungry" she looked at me.

"You're so big"

"I know!" She covered her face. "People tell me I'm too tall for my age"

"That's not true. You're fine"

"Anyways, tell me about your life" she got a strawberry from the basket.

"Nothing really" I sighed.

"How are you and Jaidon?"

"Eh" I shrugged. "I don't feel the se anymore"

"Oh, sorry"

"Change subject" I took out everything that was in the basket.

"I got a dog!" She happily said.

"Really?"

"Yeah, Melanie got it for me" she took out her phone. "This is him" she showed me a black and white dog, I didn't seem to recognize the breed.

"He's so cute" I took her phone.

"Yeah, he's a mixed shih tzu with something else, I'm not sure what the other is" she shrugged.

"Do you like Melanie ?" I ask her.

"Yeah, she's really nice and understands me"

I looked down at the food.

"Have you seen mom?" I asked her.