Chapter 27: Invitations

“Gold-plated glasses and complimentary Cristal? How’d you pull this off?”

Idris’ hotel suite at the Hôtel Fouquet Barriere was luxurious and big enough for five people.

“What can I say? I’m a very important guest.”

“Or…wait…let me think.” Gabby closed her eyes and touched her forehead like a psychic. “Or maybe that front desk clerk who looked like she wanted to eat you gave you an upgrade.”

He laughed, flashing pristine white teeth and ran a hand over the rough stubble of his beard. “Or that.”

“Mmmhmm. You haven’t changed a bit.” She stretched out on a chaise lounge still stuffed from dinner.

“Listen. I’m sorry about what went down with you and old boy.” He sat on the end of the chaise and offered her a glass full of sparkling liquid.

Gabby took a sip. Keith had come out on his radio show that morning. It wasn’t a secret anymore. Now everybody back home knew and her phone had been blowing up all day.

She’d spent half the morning reassuring her mother, her sister, and Patrick that she was okay. Then she put the phone on silent.

Idris’ voice snapped her out of her thoughts. He reached for her hand. “You alright?”

“Hey…I’m in Paris sipping Cristal with you in the presidential suite. I think I’m doing just fine.” Her mouth was smiling, but her eyes weren’t.

He skillfully changed the subject. “So you coming to J.P.’s joint tomorrow night?”

“Uh-uh. I’m not on the guest list.”

“You can always be my plus one.”

“That’s sweet, but I think I’ll pass.”

Everybody who was anybody in Paris would be at Gaultier’s end-of-the-season bash, including the twins. But between the drama with Keith and Laurent giving her the silent treatment she really wasn’t in the mood for a party.

“Suit yourself.”

She stood up and stretched. “I should get going.”

He followed her to the door and opened it then pushed it shut again blocking her path. “You could stay if you want.”

“Are you flirting with me?” She narrowed her eyes.

He licked his lips and squinted back. “Do you want me to be flirting with you?”

“Haha! Wow.” Gabby had seen him do that act a million times before on TV. “The player response and the panty-dropper face. Nice.”

“Damn!” He broke character with a goofy grin. “You know me too well.”

“Like I said before…you haven’t changed a bit.” They hugged.

“Night, Gabby.”

“Goodnight, Dris.”

*   *   *   *

It was Friday.

Larry was still giving Sasha the cold shoulder. Ken threatened to quit again after Laurent almost broke a piece of his camera equipment. Larry blamed Laurent for his missing belt and armbands. The usual.

Laurent hadn’t said two words to Gabby in as many days.

To top it all off, every time he walked by she felt pissed off and horny at the same time.

She was counting down the hours until she could get away from them all when Larry trotted into her office carrying a package. His eyes were twinkling.

“Gabby, guess what? I talked to J.P. and he invite you to the party.”

“What?”

“Yes. I run into him and I tell him how much you want to come.” Larry slid the expensive-looking package across the desk towards her. “He send you this.”

“You have got to be kidding me.”

Gabby gave him a blank stare then opened it. On top was an invitation signed “from J.P. with love”. Underneath that was a layer of perfumed tissue paper and a dress in her size.

“Oh and I give him your phone number, too.”

“You didn’t.”

“J’ai fait.” (I did.)

He raised his arms and twisted his hips in a little revenge dance and brushed his shoulders off. “You can thank me later.”

“Oooh, you’re dead wrong, Larry. You’re evil.”

Gabby shot daggers at him with her eyes. He smirked and swaggered out the room looking smug as hell. She threw a pen at the back of his head.

“Ow!”.

“You’re gonna pay for this!”

Nobody turned down a personal invitation from one of the premier fashion designers in the world.

Now Gabby had no choice but to go the party. She sighed and shook her head.

At least the dress was sexy.