Chapter 5: First Impressions

It was even more crowded outside the school on Saturday, but this time in black sweat pants, a fitted tank top, and sneakers Gabby was blending in all too well.

When the doors of the school opened everyone flooded inside. A sign directed students to the left and spectators and press to the right—pas d’exceptions. No exceptions.

Gabby ignored the sign and quickly walked straight ahead and around a corner. She spotted a door marked for employees only and went inside.

There were snatches of conversation in French and loud laughter as she entered another hallway that led to an eating area. Then she saw the back of huge, fuzzy afro bobbing back and forth at one of the tables. Jackpot.

Gabby knew right away from his trademark beads that it was the twin named Laurent. His long, slim upper body rocked back and forth as he demonstrated some hand movements to another shorter guy with cornrows.

She brushed past them and circled around to the vending machines. Never approach your prey directly.

The short dude left and Laurent looked like he was getting up to leave too. She needed bait.

Thankful now that she’d watched all those Youtube videos, Gabby knew just the thing. She bought a Sprite from the drink machine and it worked like a charm. The sound of the can opening caught Laurent’s attention and he trotted over like a friendly puppy to introduce himself.

“Salut. Je m’appelle, Laurent.”

“Hi. I’m Gabriella. But everybody calls me Gabby.”

“Oh, you don’t speak French?”

“Juste un petit peu,” (Just a little bit) Gabby replied, smiling and sipping some of her drink before skillfully switching the subject.

“I’ve seen you dance and I love your style. Some of your moves are just incredible. Unbelievable really.”

She sat down at the nearest table.

“Thank you,” he grinned.

Intrigued by her interest Laurent plopped down across from her and launched into a full on conversation about his most favorite subject—himself.

“When I dance, I dance from my heart. I feeeeeeel the music…”

Within fifteen minutes he was waxing poetic about everything from dancing, to modeling, to his last relationship breakup. He hadn’t seemed to notice or care that Gabby never explained who she was or what she was doing there.

Just then another version of Laurent appeared in the doorway.

“Lau!” he barked. “Nous sommesen retard!”.(We’re late.)

“Je parle!” Laurent shot back. (I’m talking.)

“This my bossy twin Larry,” he muttered gesturing toward his brother.

“Hi, Larry. I’m Gabriella.” She stood and extended her hand. Larry shook it slowly with a quizzical look on his face.

“Qu’est-ce? The American reporter? I thought we don't meet you until tonight.”

Gabby was shocked that her cover was blown. She hadn’t expected Larry to know any more about their interview schedule than his brother did.

“I wanted to come by early to see you guys in action. I hope that’s okay.” She smiled sweetly and tried to look innocent but Larry wasn’t buying it.

“What you say to her?” he demanded, turning to Laurent.

“Nothing!” Laurent hid his face behind his hands. “Well…okii…maybe about my ex. But I not know who she was when I say that!”

Larry turned back toward Gabby with puppy dog eyes. “Mon frère…he talk too much. You won’t write what he tell you?”

“Not as long as you promise to give me something juicer.”

Larry went immediately into his second weapon—the pouty face. Laurent dropped his hands and frowned.

“Relax, guys, relax. I’m joking. It’s off the record,” she reassured them. But they were still squabbling as she followed them to their class.