Chapter 17

Jack saw it before the others. Princess Anna, about to place her hand in Prince Nash's for a dance a few tables away. "No!" Jack muttered as he stepped towards them. But it was too late. Just as Elsa turned her head, Anna placed her hand in Nash's, her skin brushing against the charm and they disappeared in a swirl of black nightmare sand. "Anna!" Elsa's cry of despair tore at Jack's heart. If some people haven't noticed when Anna and Nash disappeared, they were definitely looking now. Elsa raced forward to Anna once stood, shock shown on her face. A tear leaked from each of her eyes, "No...no..." Kristoff was not far behind. Just then, a single piece of paper appeared and fluttered towards the floor. Kristoff grabbed it from the air. Elsa and Jack immediately walked over to stand beside Kristoff to take a look at the note. It appeared blank at first, but black sand started to form words on it.

Dear ice queen,

In exchange for your sister's safety, we want you to come.

There's no need for soldiers, though you may bring some

friends to take your sister back. After all, we only want you.

Meet you at your kingdom of isolation.

-Your Darkest Nightmare and Nash

Just as Jack, Kristoff and Elsa finished reading the message, the letters 'NASH' rearranged themselves to form the word 'HANS'. "Hans. No wonder Nash looked so familiar," Elsa muttered under her breath. The paper fell from Kristoff's hand and dissolved into black sand before disappearing altogether. Kristoff's face was contorted in rage and grieve.. "I'm going to find you Anna. I'm going to rescue you...you're not going to get hurt...I won't let you get hurt..." Kristoff muttered to himself as he stormed out of the ballroom. Elsa sank to her knees, "Anna...it's all my fault...Anna..." Slowly, Jack kneeled down beside Elsa and turned her to face him, "I will rescue your sister. It's all going to be fine. I promise." Jack wiped away her tears. Elsa nodded and said, "I'm going with you to bring back Anna, no matter what it takes." Looking at Elsa's determined face, Jack sighed and nodded. Elsa stood up to face the crowd. "Tonight's ball is cancelled. I'm sorry," Elsa announced before walking briskly out of the ballroom.