Captain's Senpai ~ Momotori

Word Count:1,288 words

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nitori's P.O.V.

"Arigato Rin-senpai," I told Rin. He gave me a lot of good advice on how to handle being a captain and new swimming techniques. I had actually had a nice growth spurt and he probably had an inch on me at the most.

"I didn't do much Ai, you really did most of it yourself," Rin assured me. I blushed a bit at the praise.

"So what are you doing after this? We haven't really hung out since you graduated." I told him. His face suddenly looked a bit nervous.

"Um, well," he started.

"What Rin-senpai?" I asked curiously.

"Well, Sousuke and I are actually going on a date," Rin said, scratching his neck. My stomach dropped and I thought I was going to throw up. Rin-senpai was with someone else? I have had a crush on him since we first met and he just swims out of my life like that?

"Nitori?" he asks.

"Yeah, that's great!" I tell him, a fake smile plastered across my face and my heart beating annoyingly fast.

"Thanks Ai, I was hoping you would be happy, you are one of my best friends you know," he told me, ruffling my hair that I worked so hard to make look good.

"Yeah, don't forget about me Rin-senpai," I tell him softly.

"How could I forget you Ai?" he said while smiling at me.

"I guess I don't know. Have fun on your date Rin-senpai!" I said with all of the enthusiasm I could muster.

"Bye Ai!" he said and waved as he walked out. My heart felt so low as I walked back to my dorm, my vision was hazy from all of my loose tears that had found a way out. I walked in and tried not to attract any attention as I grabbed pajamas and changed in the bathroom. I tried to clean myself up with a late night shower, but it did no good. I got on my pajamas and walked back out to my bottom bunk. Momo was wearing headphones and must be watching something on his phone. I sat and let myself sniffle a bit, hoping that Momo wouldn't hear me. I accidentally let out a larger sob than I meant to and Momo heard me.

"Nitori-senpai? Is that you?" he asked.

"Uh yeah, go back to sleep Momo-kun," I told him in a shaky voice.

"Nitori-senpai..." Momo started. He looked down at me and found me a silent mess of shakes and hiccups of sobs.

"Momo-kun don't look at me, I look awful," I said, curling myself into a ball.

"What's wrong Nitori-senpai?" he asked as he climbed down onto my bunk, wrapping his arm around my now very wide shoulders.

"Uh, I don't want to freak you out or worry you Momo-kun, go back to sleep," I told him firmly.

"You can tell me Nitori-senpai, I really want to know," he whispered. I suddenly know how Rin felt with me at his side every few seconds, calling him senpai twenty-four seven. No wonder he wouldn't want me. Why would he? I couldn't think of a reason. I decided I didn't actually want to be like Rin, only thought that I did.

"I'm only telling you because you are a very close friend Momo-kun, I warned. I swear I saw a blush and he nodded.

"Go ahead Nitori-senpai," he encouraged.

I took a deep breath and told him, "Well, Momo-kun, I'm gay."

"Really?" he asked, sounding more interested than repulsed.

"You aren't bothered by it?" I asked, really shocked.

"No! As long as you aren't bothered by the fact that I'm pansexual," he told me in a rush I smiled and hugged him, glad that he could tell me.

"Of course not! You couldn't bother me with something that makes you, you." I told him honestly.

"Thank you Nitori-senpai! Is that all that was bothering you?" Momo asked. I smiled because he momentarily made me forget why I was sad.

"No, unfortunately not. I have had a crush on Rin-senpai for a while now, and I thought we had something going while he was helping me with tips on how to be a captain. I asked him what he was doing later and-and..." I started, but I stared to snivel in the middle of explaining.

"It's okay Nitori-senpai!" Momo told me, hugging me close to him. I was a bit stunned at first, but returned the embrace, feeling better with his arms around me.

"And he told me he was going on a date with Sousuke-senpai!" I wailed. Momo traced circles on my back, trying to calm me down. 

"Sh, it's okay Senpai," Momo soothed. He ran a hand through my hair, relaxing me and convincing me to stop crying.

"Thank you Momo-kun, I'm really glad to have such a great friend to help me," I confided.

"Yeah..." he said, sounding disappointed.

"What's wrong Momo-kun?" I asked as he let go of the hug.

"I know how you feel, your senpai wanting someone else," he told me. Suddenly what he said hit me.

"Momo-kun, are you talking about me?" I ask.

"Uh n-no! Maybe..." he says. I smile and ruffle his hair, like Rin likes to do to me.

"Momo-kun," I singsong into his ear. He looks up to meet my eyes with his sparkling yellow ones.

"Y-yes Nitori-senpai?" he asked, sounding nervous.

"Is it me? Be honest!" I tell him sternly.

"Well, yes. The relay  was so fun, and I could see just how much it meant to you! I couldn't help but fall for you! Then, we became roommates! It was the best thing that had ever happened to me! Well, except for Rei-senpai's cookies! I get to see you everyday and learn your cute little quirks and the way your face lights up when you help someone on the swim team! I can't help but smile whenever I see you smile and I can't help but feel butterflies when you look at me with your big blue eyes." Momo gushes.

"M-Momo-kun..." I say, trailing off as I look into his hopeful eyes.

"Sorry Nitori-senpai, I know you have eyes for another," he apologized and looked away. I brought my fingers under his chin and guided his face back to look at me.

"Momo-kun, I think my eyes have been blind until you opened them," I told him, "sorry, that was kinda cheesy."

"It's okay, I love cheese!" he said, making us both laugh. He stood up and kissed my forehead.

"See you in the morning?" he asks. I stand up and lean down, bringing our lips together. It couldn't have possibly been better. Momo started walking backwards until he hit his back to the wall softly. We broke apart for air after a while and I suddenly really appreciated my growth spurt, making me taller than Momo.

"See you...in...the morn...ing," Momo said, trying to get his breath.

"Or you could just sleep with me down here," I suggested.

He smiled and said, "I'd like that Nitori-senpai."

"Call me Ai."

"Alright!" he said with a smile. His face was red and his pupils were huge. We laid down together on my bed, Momo snuggling close to me and burying his face in my chest.

"Goodnight otter," I said into his hair.

"Goodnight Ai-senpai," he whispered adorably. I smiled, kissed the top of his head, and fell asleep with my arms draped across his waist and his arms hung loosely around my torso.