Memories (Part 2) ~ Makoharu

Word Count: 1,789 words

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haru's P.O.V.

I suddenly sat straight up, waking up to feel Makoto hugging me to him. I was drenched in sweat and I was breathing painfully hard.

"Haru are you awake?" Mako asked delicately. His voice sounded like an angels and I could barely breath. I just nodded, fearing that if I spoke I would say something that I couldn't take back, and hugged him tighter to me. I sat on his lap, facing him, my face buried in his neck, breathing in his scent. I took deep breaths of him, not able to get enough. I was so glad that he was here, no one knew me better or cared about me as much as he did. They might think they do, but really there is no competition. He knows me better than I do. I pick my head up and look at the clock, it was 4:12 in the morning. He woke up this early, probably earlier, just to comfort me because I was having a bad dream. I brought my hand to his face and took my thumb across his jawline, feeling my living best friend. I might have been thinking about him as more recently, but I've been trying not to show it. I'm too tired and scared to keep my feelings back right now. I'm just so relieved that he's alive.

"H-Haru what are you doing?" he asked, sounding nervous.

"I just, just needed to make sure you were there," I reprimanded and continued to feel around his face. I dragged my index finger down his nose while staring into his bright green eyes. Then, I pulled a finger across his bottom lip, switching my eyes to it. It was so soft, like a plump little pillow. He suddenly made a soft noise that sounded almost like a needy yelp. I looked back up to his eyes to find scrunching his eyebrows a bit. I slowly brought my hand away from his face and put my head against his chest, inhaling a bit more of his scent. He started smoothing my hair, trying to soothe me as I did him. I felt calmed down enough to talk so I looked back up into his impossibly green eyes.

"Do you want to talk about?" Mako asked, always caring. I smiled a little bit and nodded.

"Well I had a dream that back at the beach where we went to practice when I tried to save you, I couldn't and you drowned. I couldn't do anything to save you and you drowned trying to save someone else and I-I just..." I trailed off at the end as he pulled me into a hug onto his lap. I happily obliged, burying myself in him again. I felt myself start to uncontrollably cry a little bit, allowing myself small hiccups that I hoped Makoto couldn't hear.

"It's okay Haru, I'm right here, I won't leave you," he told me rubbing my back. I gripped at his back, taking his shirt in handfuls and squeezed them tightly, willing myself to stop crying. I did stop crying, eventually.

"Alright, I think I'm okay," I told him and detached myself from him, "do you think you could stay up here?"

"You mean sleep up here with you?" he asked, sounding surprised. I was honestly just as surprised as he was that I asked.

"Yeah, you don't have to I just-" I started.

"Yes I will," he interrupted. He grabbed his pillow and we both got into his bed. At first he laid on the completely opposite side, but I grabbed at his blue shirt and he looked over at me.

"Could you-"

"Yeah, come here," he whispered, pulling me against him. I sighed in relief as I buried my face in his chest. He kept his hands off of me, but I needed to know he was there. I pulled his arm towards me and looked up. He smiled down at me and put his arms around my torso. I deeply inhaled him one more time before I felt myself drift into a dreamless sleep.