His lips pursed and he sunk back in his chair. Zarah exhaled loudly.

"Besides, Quest said on the crime scene that Alpha had probably seen Jesus before or that he knew him- or of him... We haven't interrogated people yet but it shouldn't take long. Quest... Do you have any more deductions to share with us?"

He shifted in his seat and leaned on the table. He explained his theory about the three different freedoms he had told Wade the day before.

"Oh, God..." Dallas muttered. "It's worse than we thought..."

"Alpha is trying to expand his power by setting examples."

"Wait, though, there is something that I still don't understand." Dallas said, rubbing his forehead. "Everything you explained, about the recreation of religious stories and the God complex, makes a lot of sense, but... why does he intend on killing sixteen people? Why sixteen? Why this number in particular?"

Quest grinned slightly.

"I was wondering the same thing." He admitted. "But I did some research and I think I found an answer. The meaning of things is the key here, Wiseman. Apparently, the number 16 represents personal willpower, independence, initiative, action and overcoming obstacles. 16 reminds you that your thoughts create your reality. Number 16 feeds Alpha the power he needs to accomplish his revolution."

"Holy shit..." Dallas whispered, astonished.

"He's playing a complicated game and he's not going to stop..." Quest finished.

"Alpha is a lazy God, then."

Vincent finally opened his mouth after listening to his coworkers share theories.

"What do you mean, Talley?" Wade asked.

He laughed humorlessly.

"I told you Jesus would've done anything for us to identify Alpha off of him. I found hairs stuck to his fingers and skin cells under his nails. Turns out, none of that DNA matches the one we found on Howie Ikin's corpse."

Quest's eyes widened.

"Wait... are you trying to tell me that..."

"What I'm saying is, either Alpha is making someone else do his dirty work, or there is an imposter in town."

Quest let his head fall into his palm, feeling like the world around him was spinning so quickly that he would be sick.

~

Sticky, hot and uncomfortable, Dan woke up from his dreamless sleep. He pushed the sheets aside and rose from the mattress. He was strangely surprised when he looked down his body only to find out he was completely naked. He turned around swiftly and his face flushed both from embarrassment and anger when he saw a shirtless Phil soundly sleeping on the spot next to him. The memories from last night flooded back his mind.

Furious, he fetched fresh clothes from his suitcase, gathered the ones that had been spread haphazardly around the hotel room and threw them in a pile. He shoved his penknife down his pocket and left the room without even checking the time. It was only in the lobby that he realized it must've been pretty early since no one was there. The clock near the entrance displayed 5:16.

Dan continued to walk and exited the hotel. When he got out, it was still dark. He turned on his left and followed the path. He didn't know where he was headed, he just wanted to get as far away from Phil.

Phil had used the same fishing pole as him... And Dan had bitten! He remembered clearly the answers he had given. Phil had managed to squeeze the facts out of him! He had admitted his daydreams had something to do with everything and what he truly saw! He had been stupid enough to fall into Phil's embrace and open up his heart to him.