Chapter 28 - Go Get Reilly

Začať od začiatku

As I left the showers, I fetched my towel wrapping it around my waist stepping around the door unto the soft rug that partially covered the wooden floor of my bedroom. I paused in front of the opened doors of my wardrobe. I scanned the contents settling on a pale blue pair of jeans and a plaid blue shirt. For some reason, I wanted to look good for Reilly especially when I told her tonight.

Just as I fastened my belt around my waist, my cellphone rang. It was my mother so I couldn't help but the smile that danced on my lips as I held the towel on my shoulder.

"Hey, moth-" Before I could finish my sentence I was interpreted.

"Gerardi my boy ... my poor boy ... Reilly has been captured." My mother's voice sounded hoarse even as she cried into the mouthpiece."

The smile had all but disappeared from my face to be replaced by apprehension. What in the heavens did mother just say? "Come again?"

"Gerardi snap out of it. Reilly's been captured you cannot be slow to react because I have a bad feeling." Her accent was so dominant and strong that if I did know her well I would've gotten lost by the time she said, Gerardi.

"Where are you?" I quickly dunned my shirt making my way back to the bathroom placing the towel on the rack before heading out of my door.

"Cowboy Cobblers," I heard another muffled cry on her part and my heart nearly dropped to my feet.

"Where's dad?" It was smarter to divide what little time there was. Dad could go get mom while I go get Reilly back.

"He's with me Gerardi," There was a moment of silence before I heard noise again. My father was now on the line, "Gerard, I've got your mother ... she's. She said that it was that good for nothing Billy Kid. He took off in the direction of the Badlands heading down the main road on wheels. A white Sedan. Go get your Girl. Go get Reilly."

"Ok, dad tell Maleek and Jonah maybe they could help to meet me there as well. I'm getting in the truck now," There was a bitter taste on my tongue that I couldn't shake. The bitter taste of revenge at the hands of a graduated idiot.

I hung up ripping out of the yard heading into town. I would have to cut through town and head south. It was as far away from civilization as possible and not to mention getting there wasn't the safest because you would have to get by the cartel. By grace, though I don't like it, some of my uncles and my mother's older brothers were part of the syndicate.

The Badlands, or the backwoods as it was commonly called, was not the best part of Red Oak. In fact, it was the most grotesque parts. They didn't call it the Badlands, for nothing. The landscape had suffered the negative effects of business.

A tribe dominated the Badlands. They killed or captured anyone who was stupid enough to breach their territory, for sport. 

I tried not to think too much about what could possibly make this day worse as I rolled the truck to a stop. My uncle Pablo Sanchez stepped out sticking his hand out signalling for me to pull over. I complied not wanting to waste any time.

He walked up to the driver's side as another of the cartel stood at the other door. It was remarkable, Pablo's resemblance to my mother. It was no secret why my mother kept us from venturing in these parts. It was not only restricted but anyone could be turned up missing. The cartel had a way of making their problems disappear.

"Gerardi," Uncle Sanchez greeted with a brief nod.

"Uncle Sanchez," I responded trying not to let my anger at the sequence of events seep through.

"How are you son?" Uncle Sanchez began. "It's been a while since I've heard from your mother."

I clenched my jaw in anger. At a time as crucial as this, he pulled me aside to ask about my mother. If I react the wrong way things could go south quickly. The other mysterious guy at the parallel window kept a smug smile on his face but stared at me with such contrasting blithe eyes. Treading wisely I answer him with choice words.

"She is well taken care of." Uncle Sanchez looked me over before plastering a faux smile on his face.

"There is a toll to pay." The other whose name I wasn't aware of cut in. I glanced at him in up to my neck in irritation.

"Easy Ricky, I'll take care of this one." Ricky scoffed while uncle Sanchez eyed me with intent. "Fifty pesos."

"That's half the toll." Ricky snarled irritably.

"Cállate perra, this is my nephew." I pulled the exact money from my jeans pocket handing it to Uncle Sanchez all but anxious to get on my way ... to get my baby back.

"If there isn't anything else, if it's ok with you I would like to be on my way," I said, staring into the eyes, black as pitch, that belonged to my uncle.

"Safe journies," Uncle Sanchez leaned off signalling the other to do the same. I was somewhat relieved to be on my way but all at once, it vaporized as I headed down the lonely path.

-- •END of Chap Twenty-eight--