Chapter Six

I sighed as I walked up the steps to me and Beca's room. When I finally climbed my way to the top, I wasn't surprised to see that Beca had vanished into thin air. I have lived at the Bellas house for almost a month now and I've only seen Beca on rare occasions.

I threw my school bag down and just watched all of my book spill out of it. I was tired already from class this morning, so I didn't bother to pick them up. It took me three steps before leaping onto my bed, with the springs from the mattress squeaking underneath me. Nobody was home, so I had a whole entire quiet house to myself for the night. Chloe told me that they had tickets for a concert that they had bought a while back. I had assumed Beca tagged along with them, because she was actually still functional when I wasn't here and probably agreed to go with them a long time ago.

The vigorous buzzing of my phone and my super loud ringtone startled me. I let out a groan as I sat up in my bed, glaring at the buzzing device on the floor next to my books. My eyes widened at the sight of Beca's picture glowing before me on the floor. Why the hell was Beca calling me? Beca never calls me.

Thrusting myself off my bed, I quickly walked over, picked up my phone, and answered it.

"H-hello?" I hesitantly said, taking a seat on the floor.

There was only a muffled sound on the other line.

"Beca? Hello?" I asked. There was still a muffled sound, but now I could hear the slightest bit of Beca's voice.

"Beca!" I shouted.

I was about hang up, until I heard my name on the other line.

"I don't know, Chloe. I just, never wanted to see Cleo again. It brings back...memories. Honestly, I don't understand how you get along with her without it being awkward." she said.

You could only hear the faintest sound of Chloe's voice replying to Beca, "Well, we don't have a past. We started fresh, with a clean slate. She's a good person, Bec."

Beca laughed with a load of sarcasm in her voice, "Good person? Of course, she's great, Chloe. What the hell was I thinking? Because you know that she has just absolutely wonderful role models in her life. Ooh, I wonder who she gets it from, her drunk-ass mom or her definite immobile father?"

After that sentence, my whole entire body went numb. The only thing I could feel was what felt like a thousand knives stabbing into my chest.

"Just give her a chance, Bec. Give her a second chance." Chloe's voice said softly.

"That's the last thing I'll give Cleo." Beca spat.

I veered the phone away from my ear because I couldn't listen to anymore. I think I had heard enough of what Beca had to say about me. My thumb pressed the "end call" button and all I could do was sit on the floor, completely idle.

My eyes began to water and all I once, I burst into tears. Not once have I ever expected Beca, of all people, to say such a cruel thing like that. She doesn't even know about my father, yet she still has the guts to say something like that.

Emotions rushed through my head, bouncing all over the place like atoms in a gas state. I couldn't tell if I was angry, sad, disappointed, or all of the above. My crying slowed down after a while. I narrowed my eyes. I'm worthless to her, I'm worthless to everyone!

Tossing my phone to the side, I got up and and made my way to the drawer with my razors in it. I took out that damn wooden box that has ruined my life. I grabbed my box-cutter razor, closed the box, and sat on my bed. After I rolled up my left sleeve, I paused.

I twirled the sharp weapon in my hand as thoughts scrambled in my head. Chloe made me promise not to do it again. But let's not forget that I practically lied to her face when I didn't objectify the request. But Beca. Jesus Christ, Beca. She made me feel as if I'm the most insignificant person on this earth. She hated me while I still cared about her and wanted to fix the sisterly bond we once had, and that hurt.