Chuck

"She's your mate!?"

"What!?"

"The criminal is Alpha Achak's mate!"

"Oh my goddess!"

The crowds were uproar, shouting and screaming confusion. My mate, Achak, paced back and forth on the dirt before me.

"Son, are you sure?" The current Alpha asked, concern deep within his features. His face was grave, contemplating the situation before him. He must be so ashamed of his son's prospects.

"Yes, I'm sure. I can feel the pull, you can ask her too."

They turned to look at me and I nodded, meeting Achack's burning gaze. For the first time I was conscious of my appearance, I must look filthy and unkempt, like a rogue. Of course, I was a rogue now.

"You can't kill her dad, you just can't and if you imprisoned her my wolf would go crazy and so would I, knowing that my mate was so close but I can't reach her."

"I understand, son." He said, clapping him on the back. "We'll just have to accept her as the next Luna and your mate, but my does the Goddess work in strange ways." 

Another man handed my mate some keys which he took and knelt before me. I looked up at him, eyes appraising his handsome features. He had dark, deep tan skin and black unruly hair, which I reckoned could be tied into a small pony tail. He bore the appearance of our ancestors - the natives. I myself had lighter skin, but we were derived from the same people.

He was attractive and my heart ran fluttering with emotion. The day was weighing heavily on my conscious. His touch was surprisingly tender as he unshackled me, his fingers running lightly over the raw and chafed skin. His expression held concern, but he said nothing as he drew me up softly to my feet.

His touch sent tingles and shivers throughout my body, I knew he felt it too as his eyes lit up before he let me go. The crowds were quickly dispersing with wild chatter and wolf howls.

I couldn't look the Alpha in the eye as my mate led me past him. I followed blindly, having to trust whole heartedly. My feet were already sore and traumatised from the prior death walk, which meant I stumbled ungracefully behind. My mate ignored me for the most part but when I tripped face first over a tree root and ended up sprawled out over the ground. He lifted me up effortlessly and set me safely back on my feet, silently assessing me before continuing.

After a while we ended up at an encampment of wooden cabins, deep in the woods. He trudged up the steps of one to my left, it looked cosy and fairly large. He opened the door and ushered me inside, kicking off his chunky boots by the door. The interior was made of wooden floorboards and red oaken beams, with rugs and a fireplace. I stood awkwardly in his house, he grunted and went into a small, farmhouse style kitchen, switching on a shiny metal kettle.

"Tea?" He asked. I raised my eyebrows, shocked. I was just almost executed and he's offering tea.

"Sure." I answered, my voice hoarse.

He walked over to a door, which creaked open to reveal a bathroom.

"You can have a shower here." He offered, "Borrow some of my clothes."

At this his ears turned pink and his cheeks flushed a little red, but he turned to go upstairs, leaving me alone with the bubbling kettle.

I felt extremely awkward, but yet this place felt like home. This was my mate's house. I was glad it appeared he lived alone, I couldn't handle living with his dad. He came back as I decided to at least take my boots off, leaving them next to his.