31 - Like a Skyscraper

Start from the beginning

Like I'm made of glass, like I'm made of paper.

Luke smiled at me as I sat next to him. I was grateful I didn't have to stay in the jailbox thing, thank to Jase and his 'royal way' permission. That was probably the moment I started falling, when he said ''stop".

Go on and try to tear me down, I will be rising from the ground.

As we waited for the judge to come, I looked towards my friends who gave me thumbs-ups and smiles. We had a mini party yesterday night, the only party where my parents were invited. It was kind of a good luck / farewell party.

Like a skyscraper.

Trisha was next to my parents and she blew me a kiss. I blew one back.

Like a skyscraper.

Then I looked towards my parents. They had their hands clasped together, but both managed to give me a smile. I smiled back.

Go run run run,

Ashton was next. He gave me a goofy grin and went back to biting his lip. I laughed a little.

I'm gonna stay right here.

I saved Jason last. God knows how he managed to come to the hearing. He smiled and mouthed, love you. I mouthed it back. He gave up so much for me.

Watch you disappear, yeah.

The other lawyer was pretty convincing, I had to admit. He had like a hundred versions of one single theory on hand. If Luke argued one point, she immediately changed that point yet the theory still seemed logical.

Go run run run,

Apparently I wanted Sweets, the biggest department store in town which was owned by Cordelia, for myself, for my family, and I wanted her money and the experience unique jewelry set which Cordelia owned. So, I bribed Cordelia into leaving those things to us. Once she changed the will, I murdered her so that there would be no chances of Cordelia changing the will again.

Yeah, it's a long way down, but I'm closer to the clouds up there.

Ironically, the will was changed two weeks before Cordelia's death. However, Luke assured me during the break, it was all a theory, with no real evidence. It was, again, all up to the jury.

You can take everything I have,

"Do you solemnly, sincerely and truly swear that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"

"I do, so help me God." I answered. Trisha gave me a crossed finger. I was then asked a lot of questions, which I tried to answer as accurate as possible, but seriously who would remember what they were doing on a particular day at a particular time?

You can break everything I am.

Ashton was up then. He was a bit nervous which was rare since he was usually really good with public speaking, and with the public. He kept repeating that I was a good girl, a loving and caring lady and the best sister He could ever ask for and that I wouldn't ever hurt a soul.

Like I'm made of glass,

It was kind of funny, the questions for the witnesses. Ashton, Dad, Cara, etc were all asked if I was their sister/ daughter/ lady etc and then told to point me out.

Like I'm made of paper.

I thought I cried in the hearing, but I wasn't sure. To be honest, I didn't remember much about the hearing. Everything I remembered were things that didn't matter, like the judge, the jury, saying the vows...

Ooh, go on and try to tear me down.

I hated the break, I was going to talk to Luke, but he was busy discussing the case with his assistant. I wanted to check out the jury and try to guess who would vote against me, but I felt like people were watching my every move. So, in the end, I told one of the guards that I had to go to toilet.

I will be rising from the ground.

"Will the jury first-person please stand? Has the jury reached an unanimous verdict?"

"Yes"

Like a skyscraper.

"The jury finds the defendant..."

Like a skyscraper.

"Not-guilty."

Like a skyscraper.

"The jury is thanked and excused. Court is adjourned."

Like a skyscraper.

I, Brianna Huntley, was free. For real.

♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬

Author's notes

Hiiii everyone:)

This was quite a chapter, eh?

Now, a few of you asked will there be a sequel. The answer is I'm not sure, but even if there will be one, it'll be up two years later which is the time when I finally finish high school and my mom finally letting me write again.

ALSO... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SHAWN MENDES!!!!!!!! 

Chapter pic: Shawn Mendes fan art (not made by me:P)

Chapter song: Skyscraper by Demi Lovato

Till next time:)

~Bethia※