Thirty-Six || To Destroy A Star, Save A Princess

Start from the beginning

Even when she simply mentioned Demetrious, Anakin's blood grew cold, and only Padmé could rip him from his thoughts and fears and emotions and nightmares. She had always been the one to... until she was locked in them too.

Until they had occurred to her too, haunting her the way they've haunted her husband for years.

Anakin shakes his head as though the depressing thoughts were only sand in his hair he could shake out. Though the thoughts and images still lingered, he focused on Padmé now, his beloved wife, his angel - and wraps his arm around her as they walk back into the house from the balcony.

He had to assure her it was all right. Even if it weren't.

"She isn't going to come back. Not for Luke, not for me, not to... return Leia," he grumbles sadly, turning the hallway corner into their bedroom. The hallway was dark; eerie, but comforting now that they had each other and they were certain their son was safe. "I promise you, Padmé, she isn't going to come back."

Padmé, already in her nightclothes, untangles herself from Anakin's grasp and walks around the bed, climbing into her side of it. She glances over at him and mumbles, "I hope you speak the truth, Anakin."

He struggles to take his tunic off, tossing it at the end of the bed. He sighs as he pulls his boots off, "I do. You know that, Padmé."

She nods slowly and pulls the sheets up to her face, rolling onto her side, away from Anakin as he undressed.

He smiles at her though she couldn't see it, a smile of sincerity, proud to have her as a wife and the mother of his children.

He really did love her.

"Luke is asleep, also," she adds, her voice growing soft and tired.

"I was gonna say," chuckles Anakin, climbing into the bed beside her with a small groan of exhaustion. He had to assure her again. The more he did this, the more she believed it. He was lucky she couldn't sense his fear. "I'll get Leia back soon enough, my love, I promise you," he almost lies, knowing how uneasy getting her back would be. As much as he wanted it to be soon...

She sighs warmly, contently. He does too as he pulls her close, wrapping his arms around her. Like always, she winced at the touch of his cold, mechanical arm he had stripped of the black glove, but settled into it after a moment.

The darkness surrounded them, became one with them. It was so late into the night, and they were so deep in thought... the two just connected. Thoughts and darkness came as a pair.

But the silence was threatening. Anakin couldn't decipher whether he wanted to deem the silence as assuring, telling them no one was here for their son, or - scary, almost.

He lets out a sigh of relief when his wife breaks the silence and once again, tears him from his thoughts suddenly.

"Anakin?" She asks. She sounded worried. Like her next question - regardless of how drowsy she was - was truly important. Anakin tried to focus on good things before responding to her, so his voice wouldn't sound... troubled.

He remembered their son was asleep soundly - he always slept better than their daughter had. Had... the word struck Anakin painfully, thinking she wasn't here with them right now...

"Yes?" he chokes out, obviously becoming more and more tired as he settled, closing his eyes and embracing darkness, embracing her touch, her presence.

Every time he got closer to her, whether mentally or physically, the intoxicating emotions seemed to drown out the painful ones. He couldn't thank her more for her savior acts.