Chapter 10: The Mermaid With a Glowing Tail

"Lord Dinst and his daughter, Lady Isabella!" the merman clad in fanciful armor announced for the two guests as they glided down the entrance.

Kai sighed in his emerald and gold throne lazily holding his emerald scepter while lightly scratching the itch that his white and gold mask caused on his cheek.

He was starting to regret holding the ball. Mermaids from across his kingdom came dressed in their best finery donning masks, however none of them had caught his interest. Yet the mer maiden called Diana simply couldn't get the hint. She giggled beside him as if already envisioning herself queen. He glanced at his brother who was sitting quietly beside him, "I think this was a terrible idea," he whispered to him.

Atlantis's eyes glowed with amusement beneath his red mask made from coral, "Just wait brother I'm sure there's more to come."

Kai sighed, suddenly wishing for the ball to be over. However a collective gasps and murmurs caught his attention.

"Lady Belle and her escort Lord Morgan," the announcer cried. He suddenly felt his own eyes widen. Long black hair framed her luxurious figure, silver pieces of coral covered her chest, which was held to a white cloak that floated behind her. A silvery white tail was attached to her waist which was adorned with black pearls. He glanced at her facial features which were hidden by a peculiar mask made with silver coral and glowing pearls. This maiden had out shone the rest of the court, a star glowing brightly beneath the ocean.

"Brother," Atlantis spoke, waking Kai from his daydream of the woman who recently centered, "She's the last guest."

"Lady Belle?" Kai questioned, curiosity filling his mind, "I've never heard of her."

Atlantis grinned, "Perhaps you should get acquainted with her."

Kai rose from his throne, removing his arm from Diana's grasp, his royal cloak flowing behind him as he swam his way towards Lady Belle. Who was she to Morgan? His niece? Cousin? Goodness, would she even find him suitable?

"Lady Belle?" he spoke, approaching the mermaid that shone like the brightest star.

He saw her silvery orbs widen, before bending her head in respect, "Your Majesty."

He took her slender hand into his, bending his head to kiss it. He felt Morgan's presence leave them, returning his gaze at Lady Belle's masked face, "My lady," he murmured, "It seems you have out shone the mermaids. Many seem quite jealous of you," he teased, lightly tracing his thumb across the palm of her hand.

"My apologies, I didn't mean to make them angry," she whispered shyly.

Kai chuckled, "Would you like to dance?"

As if on cue the musicians began to play a slow song. Kai took her slender form into his arms, gently guiding across the grand hall. He felt her hesitate for a moment before following his lead.

"Where are you from Lady Belle?" he whispered in her ear.

"Far from here," he heard her say, her lips moving against his shoulder.

"And how are you in relation to Morgan? For you do not look like him."

"He is my cousin," the mer maiden murmured, her hips swaying slightly against his. A low growl came from his throat before he could stop it. His tail wanted to split and take the maiden right then and there, however he held himself back, guiding her through the many dances that followed.

They talked all evening, joking and laughing as if he knew her his entire lifetime, however for some reason her eyes searched around the room as if she was looking for something.

"Looking for someone?" Kai asked, jealousy suddenly consuming his veins.

Belle shook her head, "No, no one at all."

He relaxed and gently traced his finger over the clasp that held her cape on her shoulders, "Would you like to take a swim with me though the gardens?"

The maiden's eyes glittered with excitement, "Of course your majesty."

Kai gently tugged her through the throngs of people, finding an exit that led through the beautiful gardens. His father had constructed the gardens in honor of Kai's mother after her death. Colorful corals rose, glowing with their own light, brightly colored fish darting about.

"Oh my god," Bella gasped beside him.

What a strange way to express oneself, he thought. The only one to who did say that was Ren, but she was human and could never live beneath the ocean.

"Something wrong?" Kai asked, looking at Bella's masked features.

"No, it's just that this place looks incredible. A palace made of emeralds, the music, this garden," the woman glanced at Kai, "And you. All this is just incredible."

A sense of pride filled his being and for some unknown reason he felt complete, yet he never did feel like he was missing something before.

"Cousin Bella!" Morgan's voice said from behind him. Turning he saw the familiar form of the peculiar looking merman.

"Morgan!" Bella's musical voice said beside him before going to embrace his slender form.

Kai watched the two, before gently tapping her slender shoulder, "I must leave my Lady Bella," he murmured, taking her pale hand to his lips, "Promise me we will meet again tomorrow, perhaps this time without our disguises?"

Silver eyes glittered while the corners of her full lips tilting up in a smile, "It will be an honor your Majesty."

"Call me Kai," he spoke.