Thirty-Four || Shattered Hearts

Start from the beginning

The staircase. Wooden, creaky. She made her way up it delicately, carefully. Only a few floorboards squeaked, nothing major. Still, the house was silent. Everything was... calm.

She made her way to the top. The twins' room was just before her, and the door was closed...

Demetrious closes her eyes for a moment. She senses them, both of them, just behind the door. Nobody else was in the room with them. Padmé hadn't even thought to stay in the same room as them tonight... I figured.

They were Force-sensitive. Very, actually. It was useful. Indeed useful.

She clasped her flesh hand lightly around the doorknob. She would make no mistakes. She wouldn't fail herself this time.

She opens the door. The door was not creaky; it slid smoothly, without a noise. No sound. It remained peaceful in the house.

The children lie asleep. Demetrious blinks blankly as she nears them, watching the sleeping children. Oh, how delicate they were, only three years old. She figured they would be loud if she startled them - she hadn't thought this part through.

She froze in her tracks, realizing that her shields she put up must have been strong enough to prevent either of the children from sensing her presence. Sith benefits, she thinks, before nearing the girl's crib.

She rests her hands upon the outline of the wooden crib, watching the child sleep. She was soft, delicate. She made little to no noise, sleeping soundly, unaware of anything that was about to happen.

Her entire life was about to change.

And then, before Demetrious was able to take the toddler into her arms, she felt something again. A sharp pain, to the back of her skull, the impact of a knife drawing into it.

She slaps a hand to the back of her head, trying to cease the pain, and then an image struck her. It was younger her, padawan her - why was she seeing this?

She investigated the abrupt image. She was with Anakin... meeting his children. His newborn children.

They already know me.

She saw farther into it. Farther into the images she urged herself, in her rage, to forget. She fought severely to rid her mind of these images, without knowing he useful they truly were...

The children liked her.

Luke and Leia... liked her.

She pushed the images away. She would have no more of that.

She nears Leia now. Softly, delicately, all at once - she lifts the child into her arms.

The child lets out a small whimper, but keeps her eyes closed. She was heavy, too - great.

The child fusses in her sleep, but settles in Demetrious' arms. Leia's head falls on her shoulder.

Demetrious watches the child. My apprentice, she thinks, hoping the message reached the Force-sensitive girl, You and I are going to rule the galaxy together.

She raises her hand, and swipes it quickly to the right. The window slides open, giving her a perfect exit - the window was large enough for her to fit through, as it stretched from a few inches above the ground, to a few inches below the ceiling.

She steps out into the night. Quiet, peaceful. The job was done.

She closes the window now, and steps to her fighter, which was nearby.

Demetrious sets the child in, locked in securely for a hyperspace flight back to her Imperial Cruiser.

Now that wasn't so hard, was it?