Chapter Three: Blessings Received

Start from the beginning

            "I have been in battle before!" the Prince exclaimed, "The Carthians, the  Desert Raiders..."

            "Petty barbarians and thieves," cut in the old man, "What I am talking about is when you face a well-armed, and well-equipped army. Not some worn-down band of brawlers."

            "What more are the Morcars? They are nothing but wild beasts woven into the skins of men."

            "Do not let the stories blind you," Borlin warned, "The Morcars are not animals, but they fight like them; swift, brutal, and efficient."

            Tauron laughed, "Come now, my father said so!"

            "With all respect to King Austin, he never fought against the Morcars. I saw what they can do when I was a lad, living in Spartica. Their will and tactics are so brutal that even the Sanites fear them invading their country."

    That was so small thing to say. The Sanites, the elite warriors of Spartica were the most feared on this side of Gariel's Wall.

            "I thought the Sanites relished whenever they got the chance to spill some blood," the Prince joked, "Surely they think of the Morcars as a blessing."

            "The Morcars are no blessing, Tauron," Borlin stated, "Even the Sanites see that. I hope you do, for they will test every skill you have on the battlefield."

            "And I shall use only those, none of my magic."

            Borlin gently put his hand on the Prince's shoulder, giving him comfort as if Borlin was a second father, "I trust you, and I believe in you."

            "Thank you, Master. It is time to put all I have learned from you on trial."

            "And I am confident you shall overcome. Shall we have a demonstration this afternoon? That you remember how to control will help me rest easy in the coming months" Borlin politely affirmed.

            "I don't know, I should go about preparing the army for departure," the Prince said as he looked over at the ancient clock that sat on the west end of the throne room. They mad conversation for a small amount of time, and then the Prince decided to go inside and Borlin followed.

     "Why don't you come with me, Master? 

            "Come now. I can barely walk up the stairs in this palace before I get exhausted. I want see your power and decide whether or not I should send for Kraven to go with you."

            Like a loud snap, mentioning Kraven had Tauron leap to attention, "That is completely unnecessary!"

            Borlin motioned him to begin the demonstration, "Then show me. It is too dangerous for you to lose control and not have someone to help you. That is, unless you can be in command of your powers," Borlin's eye's reflected inquiry.

            Taking in a breath, Tauron nodded. Borlin's scrutinizing gaze made him more uncomfortable and exposed than the threat of the Morcars. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Power within him flowed through his body as if it were his own blood. Like the moon it was circling his heart. Essence of his very being was unleashing itself.

            Feeling the build, Tauron felt his confidence grow as well. Opening his eyes, he clenched his fists and took in and let out another breath. The strength began to make its way to his arms, and then to his hands. Tauron looked down at his right hand. He unclenched the fist and turned his palm upwards. A tiny, bright red light appeared in his hand; dancing in the cage of his fingers. Focusing, the light grew stronger and Borlin nodded in approval.