Chapter Fifty-Six - The Unsolvable Mystery

"We have come to a conclusion," Emilia announced, to the representatives of the youth corps and the new power, "though it has been hard-fought on some accounts."

Natalia waited with baited breath for the news that would make or break their new chance, their new world.

"You shall not be punished," Emilia smiled. "You shall be, in fact, honoured for your actions, for your bravery. Those who died in your fight shall be honoured as martyrs to the cause. We shall begin at once the work of transporting our society above ground and returning to a sunlit civilisation."

"A wise decision," Natalia sighed in relief. "Thank god."

Emilia nodded. "There is a catch though."

"There always is," Natalia replied, grimly. "Go on."

"You cannot continue to be the commander of our people," Emilia looked shamefaced. "You must give up your position and return to being an ordinary, though acclaimed, soldier. They will not have a child as their leader."

"What?" Jonathan surged to his feet. "That's preposterous! After all Natalia has done for you! After all you owe her! You'd never find a better leader!"

"John, please," Natalia held up her hand to silence him. "I'll do it, Emilia, but on one condition: that it is you I hand over my command to and no one else."

Emilia smiled warmly. "The conclusion was already reached. I am prepared to accept the burden of leadership, and the responsibilities and duties that go with."

Natalia unpinned the badge of the Field-Marshal from her lapel and looked at it for a moment. Then, with no ceremony, she dropped it into Emilia's palm.

"Thank you," Emilia said, sincerely. "I'm glad we could do this without enmity."

"It would not have been necessary," Natalia saluted, "commander."

Emilia walked away, to attend some new duty, leaving Natalia alone with Jonathan.

"How could you?" Jonathan burst out. "It's not fair! You should be able to keep command! It shouldn't end like this!"

"It doesn't matter," Natalia sighed.

"It does! Don't you see what they're doing? They're brushing you aside! They're brushing all of us aside! They're patting us on the head and sending us away with a sweetie. Well done, children, very nice, now it's time to let the grown-ups take over and do the real work."

"I know, I know," Natalia almost smiled. "But we're a militant society, Jonathan. Our practices won't change overnight. I have no real right to hold that office."

"You have more than she does!"

"Relax," Natalia laughed. "Emilia will be a good leader. She will see us well. And I will go back to being a good soldier, the way I always have. I don't mind, Jonathan. Can't you see that I don't mind?"

"You should mind," Jonathan muttered, mutinously. "It's not fair. The things you've done..."

"The things you've done," Natalia corrected. "The things we've done, our little council of eight. Let them take charge, John. Let them boss us around and structure our society. Sooner or later, when we're good and ready, we can start to bring about the changes. For now, we've done enough."

"We've never done enough," Jonathan said, vehemently. "You've given control back to the people who were corrupt in the first place!"

"No, to the people who did not fight the corruption," Natalia shook her head. "Don't you know why they're called revolutions, John? Because they go round. We rise like a soap bubble, full of glory and colour and we change their perceptions, and then we burst and sink down into the depths again."