Chapter Twelve - Hide-and-Seek

Jonathan held Lucia's hand as they stood in the corner. He was able to convince himself that this was to reassure her but, in truth, it was to reassure himself. He strained his ears, trying to hear what was going on, not daring to risk a glance out of the window.

  Joseph unbolted the door slowly and deliberately, and Jonathan was aware of how harsh his own breathing had become.

"Can I help you?" Joseph asked politely, to whoever was there.

"Mr Joseph Nickson?" a voice demanded.

Jonathan closed his eyes, shivered, and started to edge across the room. He didn't let go of Lucia's hand but he didn't dare look at her face. They had to get out into the hallway, out of a back entrance or a window. They had to get out.

"Yes, officer?" Joseph answered, scrupulously correct. "Is there a concern?"

"It has come to our attention that you broke curfew tonight," the officer replied. "Do you have anything to say in your defence?"

"Yes, I did," Joseph admitted. "But it was a one-off offence. A friend's sister was ill and he had to work the nightshift so I agreed to take care of her. It was a last minute arrangement."

Jonathan groaned inwardly. It wasn't easy to make up excuses on the fly but Joseph should know better than this. Even delivered well it would have been hard to believe and Joseph's voice had a tremor in it that gave him away.

"We have authority to search the premises."

Jonathan could feel Joseph's hesitation. "I can assure you, you'll find nothing."

"You have a problem with our authority?"

Joseph backtracked fast. "No, no, no. Please come in, officer..."

Jonathan had made it to the far corner of the room, Lucia right up against him, pulled into his arms. He hardly dared breathe. There was a door behind him that might open onto anywhere. He prayed that it was unlocked.

"Can I offer you a drink?" Joseph asked, lightly, shutting the door. "Tea? Something stronger?"

"No," the officer replied, curtly.

Jonathan listened hard, trying to figure out how many there were. Three? Five? Not many. Perhaps they really did believe this was only one occasion of curfew-breaking. He reached out his hand behind him and found the door handle. As slowly as he dared, he turned it.

"We'll start upstairs," the officer announced.

Jonathan nearly sobbed with relief.

"As you say, officer," Joseph agreed, humbly. "Shall I lead the way?"