Chapter 11: High Society and the Runaway

Later that evening, I took Tyler's advice to heart. Vodka was well on the way to being my best friend. My parents had dressed to the nines, the three of us piling into my father's Bentley. As we whizzed through town, I wondered bitterly whether the dollar amount of clothes, jewellery and shoes in the car would equal the GDP of an entire small country. My attempts at faking sick had only earned more threats from my mother, who was still under the impression that Will and I were practically married.

     "A real woman will suck it up for her man, no matter how terrible she's feeling!" my mother had ranted, only for me to burst into giggles at the double entendre and cause her to throw her hands into the air in frustration.

     As we pulled in to the Dawson residence, I reminded myself that it wasn't my job to gawk tonight. The curved driveway was filled with expensive cars, men in tuxedos and women in floor-length gowns floating up the stairs and through the massive house. I realized in dismay that valets were parking the cars, ruining the plan I'd hatched back at home when I'd snuck my father's spare car key into my clutch. When they were well-ensconced enough not to notice, I'd planned to sneak away, drive myself home and leave them to fend for themselves as punishment for dragging me to the party.

     Dad helped mom and I out of the car, their mega-watt smiles turned up as we ascended the stairs towards the door. Our names were checked against a list as I tapped my heeled foot impatiently. Even though the party beyond seemed promising, what with all the laughter, tinkling glasses and jazz band music, I wanted to get in, be seen, and get out.

     "Yes, Mr. Carlisle, welcome!" purred the woman with the tablet and headset by the door, "The bar is straight through the back, if you please,"

     Mom took dad's arm as we crossed through the Dawson's foyer back towards a gorgeous stone patio in their backyard. This time I really had to fight to keep my jaw from dropping as I took in the sprawling landscaped lawn and gardens stretching all the way down to the dunes, the crashing waves of the beach just beyond. The sun had just set, sending a magnificent pinkish purple light over everything. A jazz quartet was playing in a corner, the lead singer crooning some old Frank Sinatra in the cool late-summer air. People in tuxedoes and dresses mingled on the patio, drinks in hand. I realized miserably that my mother had been right, my barely there dress was hardly scandalous when compared with some of the other dresses girls my age were wearing.

     "Well look who's beautiful enough to rival that sunset,"

     I had to swallow the bile that rose in my throat as Will broke through the crowd, a pair of champagne flutes in hand. He ran his eyes appreciatively over my dress and I crossed my arms over my chest, drawing his attention back to my face. The twilight made his skin look especially tanned, his white teeth standing out in contrast as he greeted my parents with a smile.

     "I'm hoping you don't mind, but we won the match today," he said, gesturing to the champagne before he handed it to me, "Just a little celebration,"

     "Oh of course!" my mother gushed, staring me down as I hesitated in taking the flute from Will. I fought my sneer as I took it from him.

     "To a wonderful night," Will said, clinking his glass with mine. That same sickening grin was on his face as he tipped back his glass. I didn't touch mine, instead choosing to survey my nemesis. His hair was swept back away form his face, not slicked but not fluffy, just tumbling in the right way. His suit was sharply tailored to fit him and probably one of the more expensive ones at the party. It really was a shame he was such an asshole because if I could forget that for one nanosecond he might've been fun to look at.

     Until he turned that grinning face back towards me and I fought the instinct to cringe.

     "Come, let me introduce you to my parents," he said, gesturing for my parents to follow as he offered me his arm. I groaned inwardly. If I was going to survive tonight, I would have to anticipate moves like this and pre-empt them. The last thing I wanted was for anyone else to think I was Will's girlfriend, and being presented to his parents at such a public event just screamed "they're officially gf/bf!"