"I don't have a—." Grace stopped. With a weak smile, she told him, "Thank you. Maybe another time."

Obviously here in England, people didn't push too hard for a sell because the artist only shrugged. He didn't lack for business though.

As she was walking away and feeling a bit regretful for not agreeing to a portrait, two young girls had already sat down on the bench and posing. Grinning at something they said, the artist lightly flirted as he flipped out a fresh page and got down to the business of drawing.

Down the street a little there was a small shop with windows displaying formal dresses in summery shades of sky blue and rose pink. Although Grace hadn't really meant to buy a dress that day she couldn't help but step into the store, drawn by the beautiful colors and shimmering fabrics.

There was nobody about except for a tall gorgeous auburn and the saleswoman helping her. Drifting along the rack of dresses, she took her time perusing. Shopping was luxury she didn't often have back home and she found herself enjoying it.

"Grace? Are you Grace Madison?"

The chirpy voice sounded vaguely familiar. Grace turned to see that the saleswoman who had been helping the auburn hair woman was now standing behind her with her head tilted inquisitively. Bright brown eyes stared unabashedly at her as Grace tried to remember who the woman was.

"I'm sorry..." Grace looked in vain for a name badge of some sort. "I—."

"I'm Abby! Abby Roussiard. Duval's cousin. Don't you remember me from that time when you and Duval rescued me from drowning that summer?"

Grace was stunned. This slender, pretty blond haired young woman was the same gangly pre-teen that had foolishly gone swimming at high tide—when she didn't know how to swim. Duval had swum out into the frigid and dangerously unstable waters and dragged the unconscious Abby back. Grace had used CPR to bring Abby back to consciousness and it had been one of the most harrowing five minutes of her life.

"Abby?" Grace whispered.

She had blocked so much of her memories from Elizabeth's and Duval's marriage that she had actually forgotten about Abby whom had then followed Grace around with heroine worship in her eyes the rest of the summer.

"Guess what?" Abby continued blithely, seemingly unaware that her appearance had just opened up a whole new flood of bittersweet memories in Grace. "I've been accepted to the medical school in London. I'm going there this fall!"

"That's wonderful!" Grace impulsively gave the younger woman a hug. "You'd make a great doctor."

"Thank you, but it was because of you that made me want to be a doctor." Abby told her, her small face suddenly serious. "That summer after you saved my life, I realized that was what I wanted to do. Save lives."

Listening to Abby talk about her dreams made Grace realize that somewhere along the way she had forgotten how much she loved being a doctor. When had it ceased being about saving lives and had become just a never-ending source of stress? Was she already burned out after only a few years?

"Maybe while you're here, I can talk to you about being a doctor." Abby was saying a bit shyly.

Grace nodded with real pleasure. It would be nice to have another woman to talk to while she was there.

"Grace Madison?"

This time the voice belonged to the auburn haired woman that Abby had been helping out earlier. Grace tried to remember if she knew the woman but unlike Abby's, the voice didn't ring any bells.

Before Grace could say anything, the woman began speaking quickly.

"I'm Vivian Kent. I know you don't know me but I've heard so much about you that I feel as if I almost know you." She gave a small laugh. "This is such a surprise to see you here. After all, Duval had told me that he hadn't expected you to come here."