Epilogue

Epilogue

"Did you see if he came?" Grace asked in a strained voice. Behind her, Abby grunted as she pulled the strings of Grace's dress tighter.

"No I didn't." Face red from her exertions, Abby tied the strings and smoothed the sides down in satisfaction. She walked around and gave Grace a huge grin. "You look so beautiful! He's going to be knocked over dead when he sees you in this."

Grace could only laugh as loudly as the cinched waist of the dress would allow her. But her eyes were shining more brightly then diamonds and her jaw ached from smiling so much all day, all week and all month. Five months to be exact. Five months since Adrian had proposed and five months of heady excitement and joy as she planned for the wedding of her dreams with the man who held her heart.

Now today she was going to walk down a rose strewn aisle to say the vows that would make them husband and wife. Sometimes she felt like pinching herself to see if it was just all a dream or if it was really happening to her, Grace Madison.

She grinned. Soon it was going to be Grace Roussiard. She and her sister were going to have the same last name again. It was a small thing but it made her heart feel close to overflowing with emotion.

"Do you think I'll ever be lucky enough to fall in love one day?" Abby asked wistfully as she put the finishing touches of makeup on Grace.

"You will." Grace said firmly. She took a deep breath and smiled at Abby. "So, am I ready for the big walk?"

"Just look in the mirror and see for yourself."

Grace turned around and saw a lovely slim woman dressed in a strapless pure cream dress as beautiful as any fairytale princess's. Her dark hair was gently waved and pinned in loose curls around her face. A sheer lace veil flowed over the top of her curls down her back, held in place with flowers made from gleaming old-fashioned pearls.

"I'm ready." She whispered. Abby grinned and left.

She gave herself one more glance and nodded. She was definitely ready.

Walking to the door, she held her head high and thought about the twists and turns in a person's life. Today was the happiest day of her life—with the promise of so many more to come. Sometimes she felt almost guilty with the bounty that fate had given her—but come on—didn't she deserve it after all this time?

Elizabeth, momma and papa, I know you're here with me today. Blinking back tears she took a deep breath and prepared to walk out the door. But someone stopped her.

"Grace?" Duval said her name quietly.

Eyes wide in stunned surprise, Grace stared at Duval in shock. Then she grinned widely and felt her own personal circle of happiness become complete. They had sent him a wedding invitation but he had been traveling in China at the time and they weren't sure if it would get to him in time. It was good to see him again.

"Duval, I'm so happy you were able to come." She said softly.

He gazed at her, his amber eyes filled with emotion. "You look so beautiful Grace. Adrian's a lucky man."
"I know." She said with a wide grin.

He smiled back and told her roughly, "If you don't mind, Grace, I would be honored to walk you down the aisle and give you away."

She felt her lips tremble slightly. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. And don't worry, I cleared it with Adrian first." He assured her.

She nodded. "Thank you Duval."

He took her gently by the arm. The music began and they walked through the door, down the aisle and up to where Adrian stood, a look of besotted happiness on his face.

Duval gave her away, and then stood by his brother as his best man.

Their vows were simple.

"Do you, Grace Madison, take this man, Adrian John Roussiard, to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?"

At those words, a few women sobbed in the audience. Facing the man she loved, Grace winked at Adrian, who grinned and winked back at her. Slowly she smiled at him and said with all the love in her heart.

"I do."

"Do you, Adrian John Roussiard, take this woman, Grace Madison, to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?"

"I do."

The priest joined their hands. "May I have the rings?"

Duval fumbled briefly and then handed the rings over with a sheepish grin.

Placing a rings on each of their fingers, the priest smiled at them both.

"You may now kiss the bride."

"Thank god." Adrian whispered in relief and hauled her close. "I've missed you."

"It was only a few hours."
"Don't argue wife, only kissing is allowed now."

He bent his head and kissed her to the sound of cheering throughout the church. Grace shut her eyes and gave a happy sigh as the world faded away as usual every time Adrian kissed her.

Nobody noticed as Duval gave a slight sad smile to the embracing couple as he left. But he was okay with that. Even the sadness in his heart couldn't compete with the happiness he felt for his brother and for Grace. Everything was as it was meant to be.

The End

* * * * * * * *

Thank you to all of you lovely readers out there for finishing this book. I'm working on a full edit/rewrite to add on about another 10,000 words to this story and fix some inconsistencies. But I'll keep the heart of it untouched. 

* Follow Me * so that you can be the first to see the new books I'm publishing, new artwork, and perhaps maybe even some fun giveaways like prints of artwork created for the book. 

Thank you again!

Mai (my) Chaos