Exspecting death

"Where were you!" Henley asks loudly. The other two are also with her, seeming to be waiting for me.

"I...I...," I studder, then go silent.

"Come on Jack. Just tell the truth. I know when your lying." Merrit says nonchalantly.

Crap, I sigh, knowing they'll get it out of me sooner or later.

"I had to see her okay. It's been months. She was worried," I confessed.

"Who, your momma?" Merrit chuckled and Daniel gave him a disapproving look.

"No, my girlfriend," I say, wondering into the tiny kitchen for a late night snack. Daniel follows me and I groan, feeling a lecture coming on.

"Do you recall at all what I said about that! Girlfriends were specifically on the don't talk to list! What did you tell her!" he barks.

"Everything," I reply shortly and bump past him with a bag of potatoes chips.

He let out a loud moan and pulled at his hair as I exited the room. "I can't believe you would do that. You have to dissappear for a long time Jack. You won't be able to be together in the end," he says, following me to my room.

"You don't know that?" I turn to face him in the doorway.

"Actually, I do Jack. Within the next year, you will be dead, completely gone according to all the people you know and you can't tell them anything. This is a serious operation were doing here and if your not mature enough to handle it, you could land us all in jail." Dani rants.

"Look I'm not stupid! I know I can't tell her that my death's a fake. I just want to spend time with her before I have to go away." I reply.

"Do you really think that's wise? It's just going to make things harder for her!"

"It would be hard anyways. At least now she will know something beyond a random car crash."

"You know your just rubbing salt on her wound by doing this. It's childish and nieve and you need to stop acting like a kid if you want pull this off and get any part of the profit."

"Boys, boys!" Henley steps in between us. I was on the verge of punching him and had been yelling straight at his face.

"Look," Henley says rationally, "he already told her. The best thing to do would be to have a serious meeting with her about all this.

"No, she just thinks that it's a normal magic show that I'm doing to join the eye. I haven't told her that everything with the police has been planned or that we're stealing any money."

"Okay," Henley says to me, then to Dani, "See, he's not completely stupid."

"I disagree," Dani growls under his breath.

"If she just thinks that it's like any other magic show then we're okay. And if Jack wants to see his girlfriend up until his death, then he can. Its his choice Dani."

"Whatever," Dani exited the room bumping past Merritt, "But don't say I didn't tell you so when things get out of control."

Henley just rolled her eyes then told me good night and both her and Merritt left the scene.