Shadow Heart | Chapter 2 | Kagami

"Kagami! What the hell did you do to Kuroko?!" The scolding of my coach was never something I liked to hear.

"I didn't do anything!" I retort. "I yelled at him for waking me up this morning, but that was it!"

She crosses her arms over her chest. "What did you say to him?!"

"I told him I'd be fine on my own. He doesn't need to wake me up every morning like I'm a dog." I pick up a basketball and hold it firmly in my hands.

"You idiot!" She snatches the basketball from my hands. "How could you say that to him?!"

"What's wrong with that?!" I glare at her, eyeing the basketball. I just wanted to practice to take my mind off the whole damn thing, but she keeps bringing it up.

"Oh, I forgot that you're so dense." She shakes her head before glaring at me once more. "You're such an arrogant idiot!"

I clench my hands into fists. "What did you say?!"

Before I could get seriously angry she says something that puts out the fire in my eyes. "You told Kuroko you didn't need him anymore! That's the same as saying you don't want him around!"

My eyes open wide in realization. "T-That's... I didn't mean it like that!"

She sighed. "Well that's how it must have come across for Kuroko to skip out on practice like this..."

I scoff, cursing at myself. How could I have been so stupid? "What can I do now?"

Coach gently hits me in the head, which I definitely deserved. "Apologize, idiot. Go find him and fix your mistake."

I nod. "I'll bring him back as soon as I find him!"

I dash out of the gym, my eyes scanning the surrounding area. School just let out, so he couldn't have run too far. He has to be within a block at least.

So I check all of his usual spots at the school only to find them all empty of his presence. I went around the block, only to find that empty as well. The more I searched the emptier I began to feel as well.

I went to his house, even, and his kind mother told me he hadn't come home yet, so that means he's got to be out and about somewhere!

Not knowing what else to do I think about any of the places I had seen or been with Kuroko. I first hit the town basketball court, the first time I had played basketball with him. I remember him standing there, completely weak, and him so brashly challenging me to play the game he loves more than anything. The memory tugs on my heartstrings.

I unlatch the court, stepping inside. Before I could go into memory lane I look ahead, and my eyes go wide as I finally notice him standing in the middle of the court, a basketball firmly in his hands. He turns toward me, his eyes filled with sadness as he looks at me.

"Kagami-kun..."

"Everyone's waiting for you, Kuroko." I say gently.

He looks down, not wanting to meet my gaze. "You came to find me because coach told you to, didn't you?"

"She did ask me to come find you..." I could see his heart sink a bit, but I wasn't finished. "But I didn't do it because of her."

He looks up at me. "What are you saying?"

I take a step forward, eyes set in determination. I am going to say what I want to say, and it's not going to be misinterpreted. "I'm saying I need you, Kuroko."

He looks down. "You're strong without me, too. I'm just a shadow, after all. It's only me that needs you."

I sigh, walking closer until I am standing right next to him. "Idiot, weren't you listening to what I just said? I DO need you."

"But this morning you-"

I cut him off with a wave of my hand. "Never mind this morning. I was irritated and it was uncalled for..." I look up, struggling to be polite. "S-Sorry."

Kuroko seems a bit taken a back. He doesn't quite know what to say in reply. "Won't I just end up blocking your light in the end?"

I raise a hand, setting it on his head. "Even if that would happen I'd still want you by my side. I'm a better person because of you, and I wouldn't want to play basketball anymore without you there. After all, what good is a light without it's shadow?"

He stares into my eyes, his own welling up with tears. They start to drain from his eyes, but he doesn't reach to wipe them away. I seem to be the only one taken aback. "W-Why are you crying?! Did I say something wrong?!"

At this he smiles, and for a moment it's like he's an angel. "Thank you, Kagami-kun."

I find myself blushing, awkwardly looking away from his face. "It's no big deal. Just stop crying already, or I'm going to feel bad again."

He reaches up a hand to wipe away the tears. "Sorry."

"Let's just get back. Coach is probably worried."

He nods. "Yes."