Chapter Fifty-Four - A Valid Point

Beginne am Anfang

"Soldiers," she said, respectfully. "We are here today to parley with the youth corps, with our sons and daughters, with our futures. They, as you will all know, currently hold all places crucial for our survival in their power. We must attempt to come to some agreement with them."

Emilia pivoted on one foot to face the youth corps, raising her eyebrows very slightly in Natalia's direction.

"Youths," she announced, "I am Soldier Emilia Willows. I am an ambassador from the adult population of Subterra. I have had the honour of talking to your commander. I hope you will be willing to come to a fair agreement."

Kaede stood up sharply. "At least accord us the same honour you would any other soldier, and do not address us as 'youths'. We have fought for more and achieved more in our lives than any of you ever have. We deserve that respect."

There was a murmur from the other side of the room but Emilia nodded understandingly.

"Of course, Soldier Nam. Forgive me."

Kaede sat down again, hands folded in her lap, no trace of any expression in her upright posture or still features. Natalia stood instead.

"Soldiers," she nodded to the adults across the room. "I am Commander Armstrong. In the absence of John Sandor, I am in control of Subterra. I trust you have all understood the information fed to you by Ambassador Willows?"

It was a careful dance. Every word, every address, had to be chosen with caution, lest someone take offence or find the loophole that led to your weakness.

"We have understood," someone shouted back, "that you have committed high treason!"

There was a chorus of angry mutterings in agreement.

"We do not deny it," Natalia inclined her head. "But the actions that have brought us to this point are not really what we're here to discuss. This isn't a trial. This is a political negotiation."

"Ridiculous!" a man roared, getting to his feet. "I refuse to exchange pleasantries with murderers!"

"Then you are permitted to leave," Natalia replied, coolly. "Nobody is obligated to be here."

"Enough!" Emilia threw up her hands. "There is no question of blame, only the question of how we are to proceed."

"Put them on trial," a woman insisted. "Punish them for their crimes and appoint a new Field-Marshal."

Emilia gave an exasperated sigh. "We can't just..."

"They're our children," someone objected. "We cannot destroy the future of Subterra due to the poor judgements of a few."

"Then punish just a few," the woman waved a hand dismissively. "The ringleaders. The rest have suffered from poor leadership and a lack of good examples. They have been given far too much free rein. We must bring them in, train the rebellious spirit out of them."

"Do you understand at all?" Natalia demanded. "You haven't won here! You're not in a position to punish us for anything!"

"But what about their claims?" someone else spoke over her. "If there is safety on the surface, we should investigate."

"It's not worth it," someone else argued back. "There's no need. We have all we require down here. Why should we take the risk?"

"Of course there's nothing on the surface!" a man blustered. "Do you think we wouldn't have been told if there was a world still up there?"

"But that's what we've been saying!" Natalia cried, but no one was listening.

"Leave it," Kaede laid a hand gently on her shoulder. "For now, there's really no point in trying. They don't care what we think at all. They can't understand that we have any power over them."