Chapter One - Coffee

'Oh God, I'm late already!' I exclaimed whilst grabbing my bag and running out of my flat, leaving the door to slam behind me. I didn't have time to consider the consequences that the noise would trigger. I was late for my first day at my new job. What a great first impression. I ran for the bus doors only to be too late, the glass doors slammed into my face, catching my arm as the vehicle pulled away tearing at some of my shirts material. 'Just my luck' I whispered under my breath as I panted for air. This job means everything to me, a fresh start up north, away from my miserable past down south. The sky began to crackle as cold water poured down from the grey clouds above me, drenching me. 'Great...' Beggining to run now, I dodged passers by and lamp posts, taking care not to trip over my own feet as i sprinted down the footpath. For one second the world seemed to slow, I looked around me to see the traffic hault and the rushing people slow down just enough to make out their faces, some wrinkled due to stress and others relaxed and listening to music as they strolled past. The next thing I know I'm on the floor, drenched in rain and now the potent smell and unmistakable burn of hot coffee. 'Shit, are you okay?' A grizzly voice called out to me as I faded back into reality. I began to stand up as a large hand reached down to help me stand up again.  'I'm so so sorry sir.' I panicked.  'Sir? I like that.' He chuckled to himself. After standing up and looking at the extent of the damage I had just caused whilst not paying attention to where I was running, my eyes locked onto his, our gaze remained unbroken until he began to speak.  'My coffee seems to be all over you.' he sighed as he threw his half empty cup into a nearby bin. 'Are you okay?' He continued as I glanced away from his sparkiling eyes and to my wrist watch. 'I'm so late, my boss is gonna kill me, again, I'm so sorry I'll pay for your coffee.' I blurted out whilst fumbling around the inside of my bag for my purse. As i pulled out a £5 note and began to hand it to the coffee soaked man he started to shake his head at me and wrap his hands around mine. 'Hey, there's no need for that, keep it. I like the smell of coffee anyway, I don't mind smelling of it all day.' He smirked, my breath rapidly escaped my lungs as he spoke. He began to walk away from me now, and the panic returned as I realised the time.

I ran into the office block, pushing the glass doors apart hurriedly. I slowed down, calmly walking up to the reception desk. 'Hi, I'm here for the job in IT.' I struggled to talk as my breathing gradually returned to its normal pace. The lady behind the old reception desk pointed to a lift with a long, boney finger. 'Uh, thank you.' Speaking softly, I walked towards the tall, dark grey lift. Stepping inside I turned towards the worn out buttons labled with floor levels, the doors began to close when i started to hear shouting from the front door of the building. 'Hold the lift!' I was soon joined by two other men now, both greeting me with a nod as they crammed themselves into the small box known as the lift. The tallest of the two began to speak. 'Thanks for holding the lift, everyone seems to be running late today.' He chuckled. Thank God I wasn't the only one that was late today, maybe this will go in my favour today. 'It's no problem' I smiled back, not too sure what I should say. Before the atmosphere could get anymore awkward the doors to the lift had opened and we had all arrivied on the same floor. I was greeted by another reception desk, this time occupied by a rounded man with short dark hair accompanied by facial hair. 'You must be Alice? The boss isn't here yet so you can just take a seat over there.' He sounded incredibly enthusiastic. 'Oh, thank you.' I replied, taking a seat in the corner. Thank God I'm not the only late person today, I began to relax in the chair. My life might just be saved I smirked.