Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

"Good boy!" She whispered. She put another slice on her palm. Again, he took it, chewing it and having apple foam run down his lip. Another apple slice, and she threw the lead over his neck. He tensed slightly, but continued to eat the juicy fruit he seemed to covet. Two more slices left. One and she carefully slipped the halter onto his nose, tying the knot carefully by his ear. One slice left. He took it from her hand before she could even set it on on her palm. 

"Alright, Dancer. You remember me?" She asked slowly. Once the last part of the apple was swallowed, his ears flattened once again. She knew she was working fast, but she needed Dancer back, her Dancer. The horse she grew to love and care for. Bob admitted today he didn't want them around any longer than needed. She felt hurt by his words, but she knew he had been hurt by hers as well. It was best for Dancer and Ena to leave sooner than later. She figured she'd continue her plan and head to Celtica, where she'd meet up with Evanlyn. Cassandra and Evanlyn had given her directions to the Celtica castle they were staying at, just encase she was passing through. She'd send word to Horace before and tell him where she was before, but she couldn't wait around much longer before the rest of Battle school found her. She didn't exactly feel like getting arrested, or hanged.

Dancer let out a warning nicker as she attempted to step closer. Her hand closed tightly around the lead, and she nudged it carefully. He took one step forward, than another and another before she had him walking along side her, like nothing had ever happened.

"I know you're still in there, Dancer. Come back to me, and we'll go on an adventure." She whispered to him. She glanced back at his shoulder, noticing the long jagged scar left from Alda's knife. Dancer's muscles bunched around it as he walked. She didn't blame him for going wild, he had good reasons.

Ena was about to take off his halter when the front door to the house opened, revealing Bob holding a lamp to see.

"What on Earth are ye doing?!?" He yelled. His voice startled both the horse and the girl, causing Dancer to lash out. Waving his front hooves in the air, Ena scrambled to get out from beneath him. But with Bob not close enough to save her this time, one of Dancers feet made impact with her ribs. Instant pain started and she let out a wail of pain. Bob ran up behind her, grabbing both her arms and dragging her away from Dancer. Ena struggled under the pain as he dragged her across rocks and dirt. When they were at a safe distance, it was Bob's turn to lash out.

"I told you to stay away from him!" He yelled. With tears streaming down her cheeks, she wrapped an arm around her waist, clutching at her ribs in pain. Bob dropped too his knees and pushed her shoulders down, laying her back. He pried her arm away and lifted up her shirt to reveal her ribs, bruises already lining several of them. Bob touched one gingerly, and Ena was seething in pain as he did so.

"He broke several of your ribs." Bob said. Adrenaline was pumping through Ena's ears so she could barely hear him. "I must get you back to Redmont, Ena." She heard that much, enough to make her shake her head.

"No! They'll arrest me!" She cried.

"Ena! Your ribs are broken! You could be bleeding internally. This is beyond me. You must see the physician." He insisted. Another wave of pain hit her, causing her to vomit too the side what was left of her dinner. Bob helped her too her feet, slinging her arm around his neck so he could support her and he took her to the barn.

"Stay here. I'm going to fetch you a blanket, than I'll saddle up the horses." He said. Ena sat on a pile of hay as she waited for Bob to return. He returned with a blanket as promised, and he was no longer dressed in his night clothes. He quickly saddled up two of the horses. He led her over to a bay mare, Vix was her name. He lifted her up into the saddle. She winced in pain and Bob wrapped blanket tightly around her shoulders.

"Hold on Ena." Bob said to her. He climbed in his own saddle and took Vix's  reins, leading her out of the barn. As they road past Dancer's pasture, the battle horse followed them all the way out of the clearing, watching as they disappeared.

***

Ena could feel her temperature dropping as they rode. Bob kept glancing back at her worridly as they grew closer to the castle. It was close to midnight, so the guards were making their final rounds before switching off for the night. A guard closest to the keep was the first to spot the two horses and their riders. He alerted the other guards and Bob gave a quick explanation of how Ena needed to see the physician, and fast. One guard lifted Ena out of the saddle and held her as they walked to the infirmary. 

"There is no internal bleeding from what I can tell, but you have broken seven ribs." He told her. He quickly bandaged up her middle and told her all she could do was rest. As she and Bob attempted to sneak out, several armed guards approached them.

"Ena Jorgen, you are under arrest for the theft of king Duncan's property. The baron will try you, and if need be, the king himself." The guard announced. Well way to make her night worse... They grabbed her by her arms, grabbing Bob as well, leading them to the holding cells till morning.

***

Hello! A lot going on in this chapter...and I don't have much to say, so bye! Please comment and vote!

~Avis