Chapter 12: Closer

Start from the beginning

Therapy was, well I don’t have a single word to explain how therapy went. Throughout the entire session we were yelling at each other freely without any interference. Bonnie and I had fought with Meghan, and Meghan had fought back. Our quarrel dated from third grade, up until today. Mrs. Goldstein just sat there observing us until our session was over and said nothing throughout our recommended hour of therapy.

When the session had ended I felt better after I got all of that baggage between Meghan and me out of my system. Though Meghan and I were still eons away from being friends, I still felt like it was good to just vent like that. Bonnie on the other hand still kept goin on after the session, telling me that Meghan was just a jealous wench whose mouth needed to be sown shut. I agreed wholeheartedly and knew that life would be way easier if Meghan was no longer able to talk.

As I arrived home from dropping Bonnie, I got the unnerving feeling I was being watched. My heart pounded at every rustle, at every shadow, at every wandering animal, in fear that I’d either be mugged again, or the guy with the scar would come for me.

It had started raining so I ran as fast as I could into my house and locked the doors in fear that scar-boy would invade the only place I felt safe.

I closed the door to my room and dialed Bonnie to make sure she was safe. Even though it was quite possible I could’ve imagined being filled, I still took no chances. When I was sure Bonnie was alright, and not getting held against her own will, I flopped onto my bed and fell asleep.

The sound of my phone’s loud vibrating woke me up. I looked at the watch on my dresser, it was eight p.m. and I’d slept for hours.

“Hello,” I said in a sleepy daze.

No one answered.

“Hello? Anyone there?” I asked, feeling irritated by the lack of an answer. “Look, I can hear someone’s there so if you'd be kind enough to answer?”

Still no answer.

 I looked at my phone, it came from an unknown number so it definitely wasn’t Bonnie or Cap or Damian. Maybe it was Meghan trying once again to mess with me.

“Look, I'm really not in the mood for your silly games, so if you're not answering I'm gonna hang up.” The sound of breathing rang in my ear. I hung up in annoyance.

The phone rang again.

“Hello?”

No answer.

“Look, Meghan I'm getting sick of your childish games. Just get over yourself. And if you wanna say something, then you should.”

“I'm not Meghan,” the sound of a man’s voice sounded mischievously through the phone. Now I was getting scared.

“Who, who is this?” I asked nervously before he hung up.

I ran my hands through my untied hair and looked out my window. In the distant background I swear I could see a human shaped silhouette looking right at me. My heart thudded.

The rain obscured my vision so it could’ve been anything, right? I tried telling myself, but I knew it wasn’t true because a second later the silhouette was gone. I locked the latch on my window, closed the curtains and backed away. The phone rang again.

“Look, I'm tired of your games!” I practically yelled to the phone in ice-cold fear.

“Chloe? Is everything alright?”

“Cap?”

“Yeah, it’s me, Chlo.”

“Oh, I thought you were someone else.” I was relieved to hear Cap’s voice but that didn’t mean I was safe now. The man could still be in the premises which meant that unless I got out of here, I wasn’t safe.