Chapter 7

Theik had made a point of going back to the market several days in a row since he wanted to know what the 'package' was. It had been indicated it would be a few days before the special delivery would arrive. He wanted to know what it was simply so he could have a hold on whoever had ordered the slave. Well he assumed it was a slave but he had to know who it was and why.

That was something he had finally talked to Zephara about during training. As of now the tutor, guard captain, and Z'nala were part of Zephara's inner circle. There were one or two guards who were close but it was going to take some time for the inner most to really start trusting very many of the guards. That was specifically due to the treason of the one guard. Theik had talked to the captain and suggested they find a few new recruits and start training them.

At the moment Zephara had the smallest contingent of all the royal children. As far as Theik could tell they were some of the best but that didn't help since numbers could overwhelm them. If you threw enough bodies at even the best you could take them down. As one person in had said quantity has a quality all its own. He was starting to grow attached to the young man and he didn't want anything to happen to him. Z'nala was quickly growing into someone he cared for as well.

When he had originally purchased her it was almost on a whim but something about her touched a deep need of his. It wasn't sexual in any way since she was just a child. What it was that she was coming to mean he wasn't sure but he felt driven to protect her. He couldn't do that with all the slaves but he could take care of at least one of them. At night he had joined her in the small nook in the wall and she really did help him sleep better.

Theik shook his head since his mind was wandering while he waited for the next visit. One thing he really did want to know was who the hell had been the person who had tried to kill him the other day. The man had been very well trained and it had showed both in their skills and their weapons. As it was he was still recovering though with some of the herbs and ointments he was doing reasonably well.

At the moment he was sitting in a shadow on the roof of the building closest to the slave owner's stalls. He had kept a very close eye and made sure to arrive early each evening so he could see if anyone was checking the roofs. He had noticed some people using the roofs as pathways but most of them appeared to be simple thieves. As concealed in the shadows as he was it would take a very sharp eyed person to locate and identify him. With the soft gray cloak he was using he blended in very well with the shadows.

Eventually his patience paid off and another imperial group showed up. He looked around the area and when he felt nobody was looking he slid off the roof and landed on his feet. Theik landed as carefully as possible to minimize the sound. He had considered changing his sandals but decided not to. He liked them and they were good for gripping slippery surfaces as well as a weapon. Getting kicked in a leg or stomach with spiked sandals would hurt no matter what.

This night appeared to be his lucky night with the arrival of the imperial guard and who they were escorting. Since he had been spending so much time here he had grown to know where the best hiding spots were. He did have to deal with one guard but before he left he would make it look like a robbery. When he had decided on that the fact he was going to kill him didn't even make him blink. Right now everything he was doing was for that boy and Z'nala.

Once the guard was knocked out he settled into the spot he had selected previously. From here he could hear the speakers clearly. Once voice was haughty and definitely carried a better than thou tone to it. "Are you sure we have privacy?"

"Yes sir we do. I have guards surrounding the tent and nobody can get close." His tone was obsequies and servile. "The package has been delivered and awaiting your examination."