Chapter 6

Theik leaned back in the chair.  "I can't tell you much about me since I somehow lost my memories.  The first real memory I have is from several weeks ago when I woke up next to the road I came in."  That was safe enough to say since whoever might be listening wasn't going to get much from it.  "I will tell you that though my memories only start a short time ago I have learned much about myself.  I am skilled with the axe and have been taught how to use a knife as well as my body."  He stopped to see what Zephara had to say.

He slowly nodded and based on what he had experienced it sounded reasonable.  "For the moment I am not going to ask much since I am sure that you would like to get a bath.  From the sounds of it your slave is almost done."  He sipped on the watered down wine.  "I..."  Zephara frowned and leaned forward.  "There is a sleeping area up there which is technically for my slave.  If you don't mind sleeping there for a few days I would appreciate it."  His voice was very quiet when he said that.

Theik gave the young man a slight nod.  "I can do that and I am going to go for a stroll once she is out."  He looked at the section Zephara was looking at and tossed his bag up there.  Unless told otherwise his axe and heavy knife were staying with him.  Since she was almost done he grabbed a couple of the items on the plate and nibbled.  He really needed to talk to the boy as well as the guard captain about a few things which were bothering him. 

From what he had picked up while traveling here as well as in the court this was a cesspit of corruption.  If not outright corruption then intrique.  Theik could be horribly wrong but it was a feeling he was getting simply by how the population reacted to the guards.  As he was munching on the food he turned when she came out of the bathroom and smiled.  The clothing was still rather plain but she looked far more like a kid than she had before.  "You look better and definitely cleaner.  Come here for a moment hun."  He kept his voice quiet as he was talking.

She kept her eyes down as she had been trained and slowly moved over in front of him and stood there.  He didn't sound angry or feel angry with her thankfully.  When he touched her face and then lightly stroked the soft feathers covering her head she did twitch.  She briefly looked up at him and then immediately back at the floor.

"Relax Z'nala, I just wanted to check on you and make sure you weren't hurt."  Theik's voice was concerned as he gave her a quick check over before he gave her a light hug.  "For the moment we are going to be sleeping in here.  There is a sleeping pad up there in that alcove.  Go and curl up after you have something to eat and drink.  I am going for a walk to stretch my legs."  He found the almost feathery covering of her scalp to be fascinating.

When he said he was going for a walk she started getting scared.  Though she didn't really trust him a great deal he had tried to protect her and hadn't done anything to her.  She looked up at Theik and the fear was obvious.

"Relax hun, you will be fine.  Zephara will take care of you and won't let anyone hurt you."  He wrapped his arms around her and gave her a light hug.  "Remember he protected you in the market and didn't hurt you.  I trust him for reasons I don't understand but I do.  Now go crawl into bed and I shouldn't be gone too long."  One last hug and he turned her towards the alcove.

She gave him a semi-trusting look and briefly leaned into the hug.  "Yes master."  She turned towards the alcove and crawled into the pallet and pulled a cover up.  Z'nala tucked her back against the wall so she was facing the opening.  It was going to take her a while to fall asleep.

Theik sighed before he gave Zephara a slight nod.  He opened the door and stepped out after looking both ways.  At the moment he wasn't going to stir any waves but he wanted to know the layout of the section they were in.  After he became familiar with this section he would expand his wanderings.  The best part was he could be as obvious as he wanted since he was new.  Even better if he worked it right he could also make a few female friends which would also give him reason to wander.