Chapter 4

A/N: this chapter and others might upset some of the readers since there is going to be some sex.  Remember Theik-Lekal has no memories from before he arrived.  As most of you have guessed he is in a way Jim but not quite.  He did die at the end of the last book and it was permanent.

Theik-Lekal had finally made it to the city and he had to admit it was rather impressive.  He was standing off to one side on the top of a small hill looking at the city.  The walls looked to be a good thirty feet tall if not more and from the looks of it a good ten feet thick.  The gates were massive and heavily guarded.  The city itself was huge and he had to guess contained at least one hundred thousand people if not more. 

After watching it for a while he finally moved back over to the road and headed towards the gates.  People were moving in and out with minimal interference as far as he could tell.  Most didn’t have weapons though and that might be a problem for him.  Since he had picked up a decent sized knife he had put the heavy dagger away though he still had the axe over his shoulders.  As he moved closer to the gate the heavier the traffic.

From what he could tell most of the people had trade goods of some sort and they ranged from farm produce to material.  He could smell carts of spices and possibly scented woods and incense as well.  Those were heavily guarded by some very mean looking caravan guards.  Most of them carried a variety of weapons though few actually carried an axe of any sort.  That made him wonder if it was some sort of symbol indicating an Imperial guard of some sort.  It might cause him some trouble when he tried to enter the city though he hoped not.

When he finally did approach the gate several hours later as he rather expected he was pulled off to one side.  “Why you carry an axe?  How do you deserve it and what is that small thing for?”  The guard was similar to the ones he had killed the first day.

Theik-Lekal met the guard’s eyes and gave him an open yet slightly stupid smile.  “I’s be a wood cutters sur.  I’s here to checks on some matters for ma master sur.  He’s be wantin current prices froms his factors.”  God he hoped that they wouldn’t look past the ignorant speech.

The guard turned to another and discussed it for several minutes.  As they were Theik was trying his best not to sweat or look nervous.  What he was going for was a country hick that was slightly on the simple side. 

The guard turned back to him and gave him a good look.  “So why be your master havin and simpleton doing his work for him?”  Depending on the answer they might have a bit of fun with him.

Theik scratched his sweaty and dirty hair before scratching at an armpit.  “I’s just be pickin up soems scrolls for hims.  He’s bint busy with some ting back homes.  His youngin is being mated soon and he’s workin on hers”, he frowned slightly, “Oh, dowerys for some wood cuttin place.”  He gave him a simple smile.  “Hes not ables to come here so’s he sent me.”

Well crap that ruined the guards fun.  “Fine, git your papers and be gone soon’s as possible peon.”  He did give Theik a shove back into the crowd and laughed when he almost knocked some woman off her feet.

Theik managed not to knock her over and gave a nod to the guard.  “Has a good one sur.”  He turned and trudged back into the crowd and once away from the gate house stood tall again.  The pull was dragging him off towards the left so he followed it.  As he was walking he eventually made it to what looked like a central market. 

He moved off to one side and while sipping on some water from a skin he looked around the open area.  It was large and seemed to be organized though some aspects bothered him.  Immediately to his left was what looked like a slave area since there were a number of people chained up or in cages.  That made him want to scream but instead his gray eyes traveled around the rest of the area.  As he was looking his eyes were drawn to what was a procession of some lord.