The Dollhouse (ft. What Should Not Be In One)

Start from the beginning

With the added light of the fire, she could see the ribbons extended out of the girl's arms, as though they were sewn into her skin.

Hyejeong swallowed, turning to the door again and rattling the door knob.

"Mi-seol," someone whispered right behind her, and Hyejeong whipped around, the back of her neck burning.

The girl was gone, and no one was behind her.

But there was a ribbon under her shoe. Hyejeong stared at it, trailing from under her sneaker and towards the curtain, which was quivering slightly. A soft giggle sounded from behind.

That's it, she thought, returning to the door, I'm getting out of here.

"Hey!" she cried, knocking urgently on the door, "Let me out!"

More giggles. They were getting louder.

And there was definitely more than one person.

She made out someone saying something.

"He never lets us leave, Mi-seol," the voice said over the soft murmurs, as Hyejeong turned to the curtain, "He says pretty things glow best in the dark."

Hyejeong swallowed. The words on the door. "Who's he?"

Silence.

I suppose they're not going to disclose, she thought. "So?" she asked softly, "What happens now?"

The ribbon tugged under her shoe, and she stepped out of the way.

"He says that we must be pretty enough," the voice said, just as softly.

"Come closssssser," another voice hissed, "And we'll tell youuuuu."

Hyejeong shook her head. "I-I can't. I have to find Jaehyo. I have to find my clue."

As she banged on the door, she heard more laughter.

"You can't get out unless he comes and opens the door."

Pale hands appeared at the edges of the curtains, long fingernails covered with glitter as Hyejeong's flashlight glinted off them, more hands pulling the curtains apart.

And then there was hair, then faces.

Three faces, all covered with the black netting, under colorful wigs and even more colorful dresses. But each one was the same as the other, with ribbons attached to their skin. They walked slowly towards her, almost sluggishly.

"You must be pretty, darling Mi-seol," the third girl, with a scarlet dress and rainbow colored hair, seemed to admonish her tiredly, "Only pretty girls are wanted here."

Hyejeong felt the flicker of fear turning into something more as they advanced on her. She could feel the hard surface of the door behind her back, and she leaned away from them as much as she could.

"He only lets out those he thinks are pretty?" she asked them, trying to drag out the conversation.

A cold hand clamped down on her arm. "Of course, Mi-Seol," the one in orange practically purred, "Don't you want to be beautiful? Don't you want to tempt he who wants you? Don't you want to tempt them all?"

Hyejeong felt her cheeks turn hot.

"Don't you?" the other two echoed, their hands feeling her own frozen ones. "We'll make you beautiful for him," someone whispered against her cheek, their laughter soft against her skin.

She realized that this wasn't what she had expected. They were implying that they were women who gave pleasure to the men...

Weren't they?