Chapter 14

I woke up the next morning with a tangly red mess thrown across my face. I sat up quickly, accidentally pulling my best friend's hair up with me.

"Fuck Tess." Jaime ground loudly as she pulled her sweater hood up over her wild red hair and rolled back over. I rolled my eyes and got up out of bed, crawling over Jaime's body.

I was wearing my t-shirt from last night and my underwear. I had been so tired last night I had only bothered to take off my shorts before passing out in my friend's bed. I went down to the kitchen and poured myself a big bowl of Cheerios. Sitting down at the table I began to check my phone.

Tons of people were posting pictures of last night on Instagram and facebook, I was tagged in at least half of them so my notifications were blowing up. People had written sweet messages saying how much they'd miss me and that we'd have to get together soon even though the only people I'd actually end up hanging out with Jaime, Olivia and Jess. I began thinking of Jess and remembered her leaving early last night. I typed her number into my phone and waited as it rang.

"Hello?" A sleepy voice sounded over the line.

"Hey babe it's me." I sang happily into the phone and took another huge bite of cereal.

"Hey Tess." I could hear Jess yawn into the speaker. "What's up?"

"I was just calling to check up on you. I got your text last night. What happened?"

"Oh nothing." Jess sighed. "My anxiety got really bad and I needed to go home. I'm fine though now that I've gotten a good night's sleep."

"I'm glad you're better now but I didn't know that you had anxiety?" I was kind of shocked. Jess had never really told me anything about that before. I was so glad she was feeling better but I was kind of disappointed I hadn't known about this.

"Yeah I've known for a few years." She told me. "I guess there's quite a few things you don't know about me."

Now I was nervous. What else hadn't she told me? She acted like this was nothing. I know that she didn't have to tell me everything happening in her life but I just wished that she's have come to me and told me about this.

"Well um, at least you're feeling better babe." I told her. I heard Jess make a small happy sigh. "Hey maybe we can get together tomorrow? We'll see a movie or something."

"Yeah sure. There's just um," Jess paused and I could hear her take a deep breath in. "There's something I wanna say but I want to do it in person okay? Don't sweat it, it's nothing too important, I'd just rather see you face to face."

"Alright babe whatever you say." I shrugged. "I'll text you later okay? I love you."

"Bye Tess." Jess said and we hung up. I sighed and put my head in my hands, completely forgetting about my breakfast. It would be extremely hard for me not having her around all the time after I moved. I didn't even want to imagine next year. I would be at a totally new school in a totally new town where I knew nobody. I was just hoping I'd make some quick friends there so I wasn't forced to hangout with Jasper, Gabe, Jackson or Jordyn.

I hung out with Jaime for the rest of the day, swimming and eating mostly, until her family got home.  They were all in a bad mood and I don't blame them.  They spent the past 48 hours with Aunt Margaret.  Despite their moods they still tried to be happy when they saw that I was still there.  Jaime's mom even offered to drive me home but I told her that Ashley would be by any minute to pick me up. 

They all said goodbye to me as I got into Ashley's car.  She drove me back to our house so I could drop my stuff off.  I walked through the house, yelling a loud hello to everyone as I walked in the door.

I opened my bedroom door and cringed.  I hated seeing my room like this.  Everything was packed up in boxes except for the clothes in my closet and my bed. 

We were going to see the new house in two days to move the majority of our stuff in.  All that we'd have at this home would be essentials for the next week such as beds, clothes, all our kitchen appliances and bathroom supplies.

I just threw my bag on the floor and texted Jess asking if she still wanted me to come over.  She said she could only hangout for a little bit because she was going to visit her cousins soon.  We agreed on meeting at a park 10 minutes away from my house in two hours.

I filled the two hours with snacking on chips and cookies while I watched 'Friends'. After the fourth episode ended I told Ashley where I was going and got on my bike.

As I pulled up I could see Jess standing under a tree watching her little sister Kiana and another little girl with dark brown hair as they laughed on the swings.

I waved to her when she turned and looked in my direction. She waved back and I quickly walked over and gave her a kiss. We could hear Kiana pretend to throw up and Kiana's friend just laughed.

"Come on Mary let's go to the climber." Kiana yelled and jumped off the swing. The brunette girl, Mary, followed quickly behind her.

"Let's take a walk." Jess said quietly and we started walking down a small paved path that led through the park.

"What'd you wanna tell me?" I smiled and grabbed my beautiful girlfriend's hand, rubbing it softly as we settled into silence.

"Tess," Jess started and she turned to face me so that our hands fell apart. I could instantly tell that something was wrong by the look in her eyes.  "I need to tell you what happened at the party."

"What do you mean?" I asked suspiciously.  "You told me what happened already when I called you this morning."

"Yeah I was anxious. I felt guilty and all the guilt made me feel sick and anxious." She explained.  She took a shaky breath and continued.  "Marley went home with me because I was her ride.  She comforted me the whole way home."

"Why were you feeling guilty Jess?"  I asked.

"Because I kissed Marley." She blurted out.  My heart totally sank into my stomach.  I mean my girlfriend cheated on me with her ex girlfriend, and then took her home after.

"I'm so sorry Tess.  I mean she was just being her usual flirty self and it reminded me of when we were together and in the heat of the moment I just kissed her." She rambled on awkwardly.

I didn't say anything.  I could feel my throat tighten as I tried not to cry and my eyes moved from looking her in the face to my hands which were fumbling with each other.

"Say something?" She asked me and I instantly got a flashback of last week when I told her I was leaving.  Was this how she felt? No, of course not. I was moving away and couldn't help that.  She went and cheated on me with her ex girlfriend.

"Did anything else happen?"

"Tess," she started but I quickly cut her off.

"Did anything else happen!" My voice crackled from the lump in my throat.  I just couldn't believe that this was actually happening.

Jess stayed quiet for a long time.  I heard her sniffle and she wiper a tear off her cheek. 

"Yes." She finally told me.  That was all I needed. I turned away from Jess and walked back the way I came.  I expected Jess to follow me and to try to convince me to stay with her and to get me to forgive her but none of that happened.  No one stopped me as I got back on my bike and rode home.

Okay guys so this might be the last chapter, I'm not sure. There also may or may not be a sequel to this I'm not completely sure. I have another idea in progress but I don't know if I'll make Tess the main character or someone else. Also sorry that the chapter's short and it's a shitty ending and it all happened so fast but anyways I'll talk to you guys later! :)

~Becca