29- Doing the "right" thing?

Start from the beginning

“You’d do that?” I said softly, noting how Jack twitched when he said he’d be willing to return the money.

“Yeah…” Jack sighed as he ran his hand through his hair.

“Great! Now come on, I have an idea…”

“Wait! You’re actually serious about returning it?” Jack groaned. “Of all the things you could worry about, you want to focus on this?”

“We can’t do anything for Todd right now,” I frowned, trying to ignore the well of guilt I felt. “I just- I don’t want…I guess if anything happens to us – if we get caught or anything, it’d be pretty bad if we were caught with the money.”

“Fine,” Jack sighed, as he wrapped an arm around my waist, “But you owe me for this.”

“Whatever,” I muttered rolling my eyes as I pushed Jack’s arm away. “Where did you find that much cash anyways?”

“Picked the lock on the safe in Todd’s parent’s bedroom.”

“Really Jack, really?”

“Hey, can you blame a guy for being talented?”

I groaned as Jack laughingly put an arm around my shoulders again. “So what’s this big plan of yours?”

Grinning I took hold of his shirt collar and pulled him down so that I could whisper into his ear.

**

“This is so lame,” Jack pouted as we made our way towards the police station. “I mean, really couldn’t we at least try and make this seem dangerous and exciting?”

“Jack,” I frowned at him as I tore the brown paper bag out of his arms.

“Hey- ouch” I cried out a couple seconds later as I felt a pinching sensation on my butt. “What the hell was that for?” I threatened, holding up a fist to Jack’s face.”

“Well I figured I might at least try and make this experience dangerous and exciting.”

“Very funny…though I’m glad you understand the dangers of trying to grab my ass.”

“Eh, I’ll take those wimpy dangers any day – I’m really just in it for the excitement.” Jack winked at me, and smartly dodged out of reach again before I could slap him.

“You’re getting better at this.” I muttered grudgingly.

“I’ve always been a fast learner,” He shot me a lopsided smile, reaching for the brown paper bag again.

“Hey, be careful with that – that bag is worth a fortune – literally.”

“I know, I know.” Jack rolled his eyes, as he held it shut and twirled it around carelessly.

“Once again, really?”

“Yep,” Jack replied cheekily.

“Let’s just get this over with,” I grumbled under my breath.

“Ladies first,” Jack bent over, exaggerating, as he motioned for me to lead the way to the police station.

Rolling my eyes, I scanned the park for a homeless person, letting my gaze sweep over and under benches, by tree trunks…

Hmmmm….

“See anyone?” Jack whispered from directly behind me, causing me to jump.

“No,” I sighed.

“Well don’t you think we could just get a regular person to turn it in for us?”

“You think we could pay the average person off?”