Epilogue

After returning to the human world life resumed normal - sort of. Dodger and Cinna got married and Ryan was allowed to wear a rainbow top hat to the wedding, much to his delight. He also got to stay with the slightly dysfunctional magical family on a permanent basis as his old, adoptive family had moved away, leaving all his stuff on the doorstep one day. Ryan hadn't complained and had got a much better birthday celebration than he would have with his old family, he informed them.

When they got back to school Edendir and Ryan found themselves faced with many questions, the same with Boyd and Dylan. Sarcastic retorts and revenge pranks made sure that people soon got the message and the questions stopped. Unfortunately people started wearing badges saying 'Limpet' on just to annoy Dylan and so Boyd and Edendir found themselves threatened by other pupils most days as they did their best to remove the offending articles from their classmates. 

Life progressed for everyone who had been involved in Edendir's spectacular tale as it would usually have done. Boyd gained a fan club (led by Dylan and a girl called Sanj) and Edendir was offered the chance to go on many tours but he turned each offer down politely. He'd decided against becoming a magician and wanted instead to focus on his studies until he could be whatever he wanted to be. Boyd, too, had turned down his recording contract, his excuse being that performing stressed him out too much. He focused on his studies but always found time to help with some wickedly devious pranks thought up by Edendir and the pair made a name as professional troublemakers throughout their school life. 

For an elf living in a human world life was pretty good, Edendir thought, lying in bed one night. He smiled to himself and snuggled into Ryan's back. Life was good indeed.

*

There was silence as the class absorbed all of what a certain Ryan Samuels had just read out. He gulped nervously and put the papers down on his desk, avoiding the questioning eyes of his classmates.

"Very nice, Mr Samuels," the teacher, Miss Roxanne, said, breaking the silence. "But I did ask for a story about your friends, not about... magic."

Ryan nodded and sat back down. Slowly he began to shred the story he'd spent weeks pouring over, holding back tears as the class continued. 

"Hey," a voice whispered in his ear. He looked up and saw sapphire blue eyes looking back at him kindly.

"I thought it was good," Edendir said. "Don't ruin it." He started to piece the paper back together and smiled at the boy.

"Do you really like hats?" he asked, somehow weaving the papers back together to make a full sheet again. 

"They're good," Ryan mumbled.

"I can't really wear them, over my ears," Edendir said. He brushed back his thick brown hair to reveal slightly pointed ears. He grinned impishly and Ryan smiled weakly.

"Ryan, can I talk to you when classes end?" Edendir asked. Ryan nodded and felt his manuscript be pressed into his hands. 

"Bring this," the boy added with a big smile.

"Mr Cinna, are you talking?" Miss Roxanne snapped. 

"No miss," Edendir said. Miss Roxanne shook her head and was about to turn back to the board when she crossed the room and knelt down in front of Ryan, drawing the attention of the entire class.

Oh great, the boy thought. Calling me out on my sadness in front of a class of boys I'll only spend my life with until the next holidays. 

"Mr Samuels, are you feeling alright?" she asked gently.

"Yes miss," Ryan mumbled.

"Do you want to go to the nurse?"