Anniversary Surprise

February 8, 2011~

Levi's P.O.V~

"I know something's bothering you, Levi.", Mikasa said concernedly. "Come on! Tell me what it is."

I sighed and shook my head.

"Is it about Eren?", she asked.

"Yeah..."

It was still the day of our 5th wedding anniversary. Mikasa and I were at The Bar playing chess. My sister had moved her Knight and was waiting for me to make my move but I was lost in deep thought.

Eren used to stay in a foul mood these days. Mumbling incoherent answers whenever I asked him something or just flopping down on our bed, pretending to go to sleep when he didn't feel like talking to me. That irritated me a fucking lot but I kept my mouth shut.

Yes, our marriage was on the edge of disintegration. And I had no idea how to save it. I Guess I didn't even want to...

 "Levi! Hellooo?", Mikasa said loudly and waved her hand in front of my face. 

"What is it?", I grumbled and slapped her hand away. I directed my gaze back to the chess board and made  my move.

"So, are you ready for the treasure hunt Eren's planned for you?", Mikasa asked, excitement evident in the voice.

"Oh fuck, I had totally forgot about it..."

Our fifth anniversary meant the return of Eren's annual treasure hunt, an adventure where he left clues for me at various places, eventually leading me to my present. Adorable, huh? Yeah, a little but it usually ended with Eren  getting mad at me because I couldn't figure out the clues. Well, who could? Last year's clues were written in gibberish. I wished this year's clues were easier to comprehend.

I was about to move my Bishop when my phone rang. It was Connie, my crippled neighbor. 

"Yo, Levi! Your front door is open and your cat's roaming outside!", he informed me. " You better come home and see if Eren's ok."

I thanked Connie for giving me the information and hung up the phone. "I'm going home.", I told Mikasa and got up from my chair, heading towards the exit. My sister followed me outside. "Something's wrong. Eren's obsessed with the cat. He wouldn't let it out of his sight."

MIkasa didn't say anything but her face showed pure concern. 

"I'll call you.", I told my sister and she nodded. 

I got into my car and drove towards my home. It was a 5 minute drive. When I reached it I hurriedly got out of my car and saw our cat, Titan, sleeping outside the front door. I picked it up and entered our house.

"Eren!", I called. No reply. I tried again. Still no reply.

I thoroughly searched the house but my husband was nowhere to be found.

Then, I saw something from the corner of my eye."Oh god, no..."

The coffee table was broken, shards of glass covered the carpet. Now that I looked around properly, I found that some of the  furniture in our house was overturned too.

My breath got caught in my throat, a sickening dread filled my heart.

'Has Eren been kidnapped?', I though to myself. 'Or is he already dead?'

Well, this was not the anniversary surprise I was expecting.