Levi Ackerman - The Day of

Levi's P.O.V-

When I think of my husband, I always think of his head... I always picture cracking his lovely scull, unspooling his brains, trying to get answers. The primal questions of any marriage: What are you thinking? How are you feeling? What have we done to each other?

February 8, 2011~

It was our fifth wedding anniversary. I was standing outside our soulless house along the Mississippi river in Carthage, Missouri. I used to be a magazine writer in New York but I lost my job when the Internet devoured the publishing industry. It caused tons of layoff, including mine of course. After a few weeks, Eren got canned by his job too. How fucking romantic.

But this wasn't the only reason why we moved to Missouri. Shortly after losing my job, I got a call from my twin sister, Mikasa. She informed me that our parents were sick and dying. So, I decided to move there along with Eren even though he wasn't too thrilled about it.

I sighed at the thought of how long and dull the day of our anniversary was going to be. I was about to go inside and greet my sleeping husband but I decided against it. I didn't possess the stamina to deal with a cussing Eren who did nothing but spew cruel words at me which were always dripping with disappointment and contempt.

Fuck that asshole, I thought bitterly.

So, I hurriedly got into my car and drove away, not wanting to suffer Eren's wrath.

While I drove I thought about those five years I had spent with Eren, from the moment we had first met only to desperately fall in love with each other to the latest fight we had had. We fought like...monsters, tearing each other apart to the brink of misery. I wouldn't be surprised if someone from our neighborhood came up to us and called us insane...

My train of thought was disrupted by the vibration of my phone. I took it out of my pocket and saw that it was Mikasa. I sighed heavily and answered it. "What is it, Mika?", I asked.

"Hey, Levi!", she greeted. I didn't reply, lost in thought as I was, so she went on. "I just wanted to wish Eren a Happy Anniversary but he's not picking up his phone. So, I decided to call you. I thought you were still at home."

"No, I'm not.", I replied dully. "He must be asleep right now. Try calling him later."

"I will!", she chirped. How can this woman be so cheerful? "See you, bro!" With that, she hung up.

Mikasa cared a lot about Eren, a lot more than I did. She thought of him as her younger brother. It was irritating though, the amount of respect and praise she gave him. Telling me how sweet and affectionate he was and how I should be more like him. That was enough to bring me to a boil, but I controlled myself. I didn't want to be on bad terms with the only person I could talk to during rough times. With Eren and I always fighting and my friends living in New York City I had no one except Mikasa to share my troubles with. So, of course, I had no choice but to be nice to her, didn't I?

I parked my car outside The Bar, a place Mikasa and I jointly owned.

I saw my sister standing outside the front door, grinning and waving her hand. There was a black box in her other hand. I stepped out of my car and approached her.

"What do you have there?", I asked, pointing my chin towards the black box she was carrying.

"It's Mastermind, a board game!", she exclaimed gleefully. "I just bought it. Wanna play?", she asked shaking the box, causing its contents to rattle.

"Sorry, I can't.", I mumbled and walked past Mikasa, heading towards the front door.

"Oh come on, Levi!", she whined and pursed her lips into a pout.

"No.", I muttered and opened the door.

"Pleaseeee? It'll be fun! I promise!"

"Fucking hell, Mikasa!", I growled and spun around, facing my sister. "I'm tired. I have a headache and I'm not in the mood to play games. So, can you please just SHUT THE FUCK UP?"

Mikasa raised her hands defensively. "Alright. Alright. Calm down."

"Just pour me a bourbon.", I grumbled and flopped down on the nearest chair.

"You need to cut down on your drinking, Levi.", My sister said softly as she poured me a glass. "You know how mad Eren gets when you come home drunk."

"I don't give a shit...", I muttered and placed the rim of the glass against my lips, taking a sip of the bitter liquid.

Mikasa sighed. She was aware of the fact that I didn't want to discuss the topic further so she changed the subject. "So, I met this guy yesterday...", she said and bit her lip shyly.

"Oh, yeah?", I asked and took another sip.

"Yeah. His name is Jean and his face looks like that of a horse!", she snickered and went on. "But I really don't care because he's hot as hell and we're going on a date tonight!"

"That's nice.", I said dully.

I had finished my glass of bourbon by then. I asked Mikasa to pour me another one. She raised an eyebrow at me but did what I wanted anyway.

"So, what are you and Eren going to do today?", Mikasa asked intently.

"I have no idea..."

"Levi...", my sister said, her tone getting serious. Her face was inches away from mine. "Do you even love Eren?"

I thought about it for a moment. I took a small sip of bourbon from my glass and felt it burn my throat as I said " I don't know, Mikasa." I shook my head. "I don't... I don't know..."