Tempt the Devil: Chapter 30: Sarah

I woke to find Anton asleep, it was a rare thing to see. He was always awake before me, maybe even up doing things. I sat up and looked at him, he seemed so normal. Almost like a normal man. I could walk down the street with him and no one would look twice at us. Yet he wasn't normal.

Anton smiled, his eyes shut. I wondered if he could see me or if he just knew that I was watching him. Then the eyes opened and the smile became broader.

"Ahh, a mighty fine sight. Did you find rest?"

"I did."

"As did I. Maybe the relief of finally knowing how long relaxed me enough."

He looked at his watch, frowning.

"Well, we certainly slept for a long time. Maybe we should go and see what's happening at the shop."

I changed my clothes, not only because I had slept in them but because I needed to be free of them. When I emerged from the bathroom, Anton was ready and waiting in a completely different suit.

"Ready?"

Offering a bright and happy nod, I took his hand and walked out of the apartment. We were about to step out onto the road to cross it when Anton's phone rang.

"You go ahead, I'll take this and be over soon."

"Sure."

Pushing through the door with a happy face, I ignored Delano's look of distaste.

"Afternoon," I said and continued into the kitchen.

Igor was reading a newspaper, he folded it away when I walked in and offered an equally happy smile.

"Is good news, yes?"

"Five months from Monday."

"Ahh, so they say yes to the wedding. They have a heart after all."

We chuckled, his eyes darting to the door as the laughter slowly died away. Anxiety filled me when Igor stood from his chair and moved closer to me.

"Five months without him. That is cruel. I could imagine how difficult that must be. Especially for a demon."

"What do you mean?"

"Delano, shut your trap." Igor snarled.

She shrugged and leaned on the wall, her attitude smug and haughty.

"It doesn't surprise me that he hasn't told you. Demons love sex darling. They can't live without it. Five months without is asking a lot.

"Delano," Igor growled.

Delano waved her hand through the air in front of her, her grin widening as she rolled her eyes ever so slightly.

"Nonsense Igor, she has the right to know that there is no way that he can remain faithful to her."

"Is trick Sarah, you do not listen to her. Is a rule that you must remain faithful, she wants you to take a lover and break the rules."

She pouted and fluttered her eyes at him.

"I wouldn't do that. Just enlightening her to the ways of the demons. All of his former partners looking at him with carnal intent. Because you know that they aren't just former partners, they're current partners as well."

"You shut your mouth now." Igor snapped as he took another step forward. "Is bad form to talk about our master like this. You do not know what you are speaking of. Master has no concubines, just Sarah."