Thirteen: Aligning the Frame

RPOV
"She accepted," greeted Dimitri when he returned to ICU from the nominations.
"Knew she would," I gloated. "Did you get in much trouble?"
Dimitri's eyes shone with amusement as he smiled. "Of course we did, Roza."
"Then why are you smiling? You should be fearing for your life."
"Because she calmed for your sake, despite not having the bond."
"I miss it, you know? I mean, sure it gets annoying being bombarded with another's emotions and thoughts and... activities... but I miss having that constant knowledge of how much she needs or wants me. I miss not knowing when she's in danger, even if there's nothing I can do."
Dimitri's expression turned compassionate. "I bet. Has Annabella visited yet?"
I shook my head. Of course he turns to her first chance. "No, not yet. She's been patiently waiting for her Daddy."
"Time to visit her then," he grinned and kissed my lips.

Seriously? When is he going to go back to worshipping me? Like seriously, I love the man to bits but first I have to deal with him worshipping now our daughter gets more attention than me. As cute as he was with her and I was grateful for the smile she put on his face I couldn't help but feel I had been sidelined. I should dress her in green when we get out of here... see if Dimitri gets the message. Doubt it, she's blinded him.

"Getting anywhere on the alchemist front?" asked Adrian when he pulled me into St Vlad's library.
We weren't on the best of terms, but he did want Lissa on Council and the real perpetrator caught. My head shook. "No. Sydney's not being too co-operative. She's scared of her superiors. It's going to take a bit of work to make her see reason, that there's something in it for her." I knew exactly what but I didn't want her offside before she was on-court, so to speak.
"Like what? What could be in it for her?"
I grinned. "Promotion. Reassurance of stability of the Moroi Council. Someone with their feet on the ground, their head with the new generation and the well-being of all in mind with power."
Adrian shook his head and laughed in amusement. "These alchemists seem like cold-hearted business people."
"They are," I deadpanned. "That's the problem. And they hate us."

"I'll let you manage your contacts. How's mini dhampir?"
"Bigger again. Barely, but she is bigger." I wanted to tell him off for giving my baby that nickname but held my tongue because there was genuine concern behind his words.
"Do you think cradle-robber will let me meet her anytime soon?"
"Stop calling him that; I'm not a baby. I somehow gave him one, after all. And honestly? I don't know. He's not too impressed with you- neither am I, as you know- so I doubt it."
"Lissa says she's cute. Is she?"
I nodded. "Looks so like Dimitri with just enough hints of me in there."
"That'll change with time."
"I just hope she has his control."
Adrian's jaw dropped and his eyes bulged. "He has no control, Rose! I thought you knew by now."
"He has more than me."
"She's a Hathaway, so she'd better have some attitude."
"Watch it, Adrian, she's a Belikov too. So she better know how to rein it in... heaven forbid Dimitri turns her into a cowgirl wannabe."

Once Adrian had finished his check-in, the St Vlad's library morphed into the Bothers Dashkov's overly grand childhood home's library. Could I not catch a break! This had happened three- or was it four?- nights in a row now.
"Greetings, Rosemarie." Victor's façade didn't fool me anymore, in fact it rather aggravated me.
"Get it over with," I commanded.
"No bond and you're still just as obstinate and objectionable," he tsked, far too amused.
"I have other priorities, Victor. Chatting with the likes of you is not at the top of my to do list."

Looking after Annabella was my flagged priority. For now that meant getting some proper, revitalising sleep, getting out of the hospital and being proved innocent so I could live long enough to get her home... and then some.

"Ahh... I heard you've got some little problems. It's true then, huh?" How did he get his info!
"What's true?"
"Now, now, Rosemarie," he chided. His look was far from nice; his eyes glowed with an evil glint, and a demeaning one.
"I'm not a child," I growled. I hated being rebuked and I especially hated it when I was patronized.
"No, you're not." I clenched my jaw and waited for him to continue. "But Belikov certainly hasn't ever treated you like one, has he?" I wanted to punch that knowing and smug smirk right off his evil face.
"Leave Dimitri out of this," I ground out. "Now, did you have something to tell me? Or do I have to pull myself out?"
"Not tell so much as ask," then get on with it! "Vasilisa was nominated successfully, wasn't she?"
"Yeah. That all?"
"Has your other contact turned anything up?"
"Stop being so patronizing. No, she hasn't. If you think I'm objectionable then you don't want to meet her."
After the usual 'get on with it, times running out, we can help' reminders Robert Doru ended the dream and I happily fell into the oblivion that was normal sleep. Thank god.