Chapter 14: Shit it's too early to be jumped.

Soon the bell rings and I get up, gather all my books and walk out of the door with Libbs. I'm far too ashamed to face Lucas at the moment but yet at the same time I'm far too prideful to leave with my tail tucked. I walk with my head high and an indifferent look covering my face. We managed to make it out the door without any setbacks and I let out a sigh of relief. Next thing I know, we are upstairs and Libby is veering off in the direction of her locker, and I find myself checking my phone for any messages, specifically ones saying that Tammy has changed her mind and is kicking Taya out due to my being a delinquent.

The short walk to English is quick and I take my seat in front of the dynamic duo that is Lauren and Claire, while laying my books on my desk. Lauren walks up from behind me on my right, while Claire flanks her to my left. Instantly going on the defensive, I assess all their most vulnerable spots that I can use against them from my compromising position while discreetly picking up my freshly sharpened pencil, you know, if worse comes to worst.

"It's time to cut the crap. Claire and I like you and have come to a mutual agreement that you should be invited to my house this weekend to hang out with us." Lauren starts.

"Thus creating a stronger and more developed friendship instead of this casual relationship that we have where we talk in English discussing Shakespeare." Claire finishes up and their invitation catches me so off guard that I burst into a fit of laughter accompanied with an overwhelming sense of relief.

"I think you should really reconsider your tactic at approaching a potential friend. I honestly thought you were going to try to jump me, and I was like 'Shit, so early in the morning?'" Claire and Lauren burst into laughter as well and Claire speaks up.

"You can put it in the suggestion box. But yeah, it was Lauren's idea. You know she's one for the dramatics." She nudges Lauren while she says this and gives her a playful smile.

"Eh, shameless. I had to make sure you fit the standards to be befriended." Lauren shrugs and gives me a coy look. "So is that a yes to Saturday?"

I eye Lauren, giving her a hesitant, questioning look, then fire away. "Will food be provided?"

"Yes."

"Do you live farther away than ten minutes from school?"

"Eight. Twelve with traffic."

"Do you have any handsy, or perverted family members that will be present Saturday?"

"No. I have an older brother, but he shouldn't be a problem. If he is though, tell me and I will personally kick his ass."

"Ok, and are you guys planning on drugging, kidnapping, or placing me in any sort of danger?"

"No, no, and probably yes. Just stupid reckless teenager danger such as slight violation of petty laws like trespassing or vandalism. At the worst."

"I'm in." We stare at each other dead pan for about a minute and a half, then break into laughter all the while Claire just stares at us in horror and dread.

"No. No I did not sign up for another Lauren! I signed up for refreshing personality variety. I want a refund, I want my money back!" Claire buries her face in her hands and groans.

"You should feel honored to have befriended two people with this magnificent personality, Claire. We're the best you can get. Top notch. Comedy gold. Embrace it." Lauren gently slaps me on the shoulder and pulls me close, scrunching our faces together.

"Did you not just witness me writing Natalie off as no good? I have done no such thing as befriend two of the evil spawn that you call 'personality'" She makes air quotations, and continues, "But no offense, Nat. I'm sure you're lovely, but I've already got my hands full with this one here."

"No worries, Claire, I'm completely my own person. I promise you you've never met anyone like me before. Although the idea of two Laurens' does sound appealing..." I smirk at her, in which she good-heartedly glares back at me.

"She's awesome, I'm liking this decision more and more by the second. Besides, we've already had our first quarrel as friends so there's no going back now." Lauren gives puppy dog eyes to Claire and somehow manages to squeeze us closer together.

"Ugh. Fine. Welcome to the club." Claire rolls her eyes and playfully nudges me with her hips as she walks past me back towards her desk. By this time Lauren has released her hold on me and I turn to face her and reach out to high five her outstretched hand, then she also takes her seat behind me.

As soon as her butt hits the seat, the bell rings and Marquay gets up and starts the lesson. I zone in and out of the discussion on Romeo and Juliet, and am taken aback when Marquay calls on me.

"What was that Mrs. Marquay? I'm sorry, I got lost in a day dream." I've found that it's so much easier to just own up to your mistakes with Marquay rather than making excuses.

"That's ok. I said what do you think of young Romeo's and Juliet's relationship?"

"Honestly, I'd love to say it's perfect and is real, but it's just doomed from the start."

"What do you mean?" Marquay pushes.

"Well, first let me point out that Juliet is Romeo's rebound from Rosaline since she won't put out. Second, the entire relationship is based solely on lust and infatuation, nothing sustainable to fuel a deep, passionate love that could last. Thirdly, and finally, they can't be together without the mass slaughtering of their loved ones, therefore confining the relationship to be based on secrets and lies, and that, inevitably will lead to the downfall of any relationship before it can even truly begin."

"Very good, Natalie." A satisfied smile is plastered on Marquay's face, and I know I've told her exactly what she was wanting to hear. We may not always have the same opinion, but she always respects a well put together argument. Luckily, we usually have the same opinion.

She gets up off the stool she sits on in the front of the room, and walks up to the white board behind her. Taking a red expo marker in her hand, she writes in bold lettering on the board, "They're Doomed."