5.

"How many times are we going to have to drag you in here Kellin?" Mrs. Abram spoke harshly, pacing around behind her desk while I sat quietly in a chair adjacent to her. Many, I thought to myself, but kept quiet all the same. Apparently that's not what she wanted as an answer, because the next moment she was sighing, taking a seat in her chair and giving me a very stern, almost intimidating look. "Detention for a week, if there's any more complaints I'll keep doubling it." She spoke calmly for once. I bit my tongue. A whole week? That's so unfair.

After that I left silently, shoving past some of the kids who were crowded together and hurrying off to my second class. Everyone seemed surprised I'd walk in like I did. My teacher gave me a disapproving look, one that I ignored before sinking into a chair in the back by myself. Fortunately, I was able to catch up with the subject pretty quickly, along with third period.

My fourth class was a total wreck. I hated everything about it, besides the fact that I had Justin in it who I was growing to be pretty fond of. He had helped me quite a bit after all.

Gruesome thoughts filled my mind as I thought about how I'd rather jump off the roof of this academy and die than sit here and listen to my professor, Mr. Strum, talk about the civil war. For one, he was way too quiet and I could barely hear him, and second, he was handicapped and sat in a wheelchair. His writing was shaky and too low on the board; the only way you could see it is if you were sitting up front. Surprising enough, no one else seemed to mind him, so with a huff, I tuned out of the lesson and starting sketching in my notebook much like I had in science, except this time Justin didn't protest and Mr. Strum didn't notice me. In fact, he probably couldn't see me at all.

By dinner I was completely exhausted. All I wanted to do was sleep for years, but I soon decided I should probably eat before we're kicked back into our dorms. That's what really sucked, we had a curfew. Nine o'clock, no later. It was like we were ten or something, or at least they treated us like we were.

Vic and I caught each other gazes when I entered the somewhat kitchen. For a split second I considered going over there and sitting with them, but soon decided that was a bad idea and walked along with Justin and a few of his friends whom I didn't really talk to. I noticed people glancing at me now and then, glancing away hurriedly if I caught their stares.

The more it happened, the more I knew what was happening. They were scared of me. They didn't hold my gaze because they were scared I'd be angry. A smile formed on my lips, one that I couldn't suppress. Rumors must've flooded of the guy I punched in the bathroom. That's why everyone had been avoiding me, and maybe that was why Vic was walking over to me, giving me a small smirk before nodding to me, silently telling me to come sit with them. My breath staggered in my throat as I looked at Justin who was engrossed in a debate with his friend Jack.

"I'm gonna go," I told him quickly, looking over at Vic who was now seated across the room and chatting with the rest of his group. "I'll see you later, bye." I finished, getting up and walking down the aisle.

I felt like all eyes were on me. Conversations died down as more and more people watched me cross the room. I kept my expression monotone, hoping to hide the fact that their opinions on me really did matter. Vic was still talking to Tony as I made it to their table, not hesitating to take a seat right beside Vic. Everything kept silent as Vic looked over at me and smiled a little.

"Hungry?" He questioned, tossing me a roll, which I caught and chuckled a little. Chatter burst through the room as I started talking to Mike, and then Tony, and then Jaime. I felt like I was somewhere I belonged for once.

--- -

"I don't know how you did it." Vic spoke that night when we both disappeared into the bathrooms. Anyone in there with us was quick to pack up their bags and go, leaving Vic and I completely alone. That was fine with me, though. I didn't care about any of them.