Chapter 3

PICTURE OF EVELYN TO THE SIDEE >>>

You would think my first boyfriend, or first pretend boyfriend would be someone I like, right? Funny how it turns out it’s actually someone I can’t stand. After our conversation, Ashton and I both ended up late on the soccer fields, and were stuck as partners for the passing drills.

            “Go get the ball!” I nearly shouted, glaring at him.

            “No. You didn’t stop it, so it’s your fault it got away. You go get it.” He replied, not in the least bothered.

            “Well I would’ve been able to stop it if you didn’t kick it right at my face at a hundred miles per hour!” I protested.

            “I’m sure that’s an exaggeration, Lyn.” I made a face at his nickname for me. It was too similar to when Brooke called me ‘Loser Lyn.’ Not that he knew of course, but it still pissed me off.

            “Is there a problem here?” The gym coach asked, frowning at us.

            “Yes!” I replied, just as Ashton answered with “No.” We glared across at each other.

            Coach Clarke narrowed his eyes, looking back and forth at each of us. Finally, he spoke. “Just get back to work.”

            Giving up at our argument, I decided to just go and fetch the soccer ball that Ashton had kicked across the field. As I bent down to pick it up, a girl approached me. I wasn’t sure of her name, but I think she was in my art class.

            “Hey Evelyn.” She smiled shyly. “I was just wondering… are you and Ashton really going out?”

            I looked from her to Ashton on the other side of the grass, who was watching us with a curious expression. How had she heard about that so quickly? Well, now that I think about it, Brooke probably had been spreading a rumor about how I made up a lie about dating Ashton.

            “Yes, we are.” I replied calmly, wondering if she’d believe it. Although anyone who had seen us just arguing would think otherwise.

            “Oh, well you two are really cute together,” she smiled at me again, before walking away to her soccer partner.

            Cute? I let out a laugh and a few people standing around me gave me odd looks. When I got back to Ashton, I kicked the ball at him, aiming at his face.

            To my disappointment, he caught it. I couldn’t help but gaze at his biceps. He obviously worked out a lot. “Wow, aiming for the face, hmm?” He asks, raising an eyebrow and I quickly blushed, hoping he didn’t notice me staring at his muscles.

            “Shut up,” I glared, unable to think of a better response.

            “That’s no way to treat your boyfriend, is it?” He smirked, watching for my reaction.

            “We aren’t actually dating, stupid. I can treat you any way I want.” I huffed, crossing my arms.

            “Feisty, I like it.” He grinned.

                                                                     *****

            After gym let out, the remaining few class I had were uneventful, save for a few students asking if the rumors were true about Ashton and me. I even heard someone call us ‘Ashlyn.’ I have to say, I was quite surprised there was this much fuss about it. Surely people didn’t care that much? But I guess since Ashton was practically a celebrity atOakValley, news spread quickly.