41: As Always

Kyu Ree woke up in the arms of Taeil. She lay on her right side, curled up, and her arms holding his against her. His slow and steady breath brushed across the back of her neck, causing her to shiver. She slowly slid out of his arms, sitting up carefully so he didn't wake him.

She slid off of the bed and gathered her clothes, disposing of them into the laundry basket and then grabbing a new set of clothes. She was quick to change, and then she started out into the living room.

For days now, she'd had a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach. Something wasn't sitting right. Something felt completely off. She knew part of it was from the constant emails she'd been receiving, but she should have been happy. She had finally found someone who loved her just as much as she loved him.

And she was happy.

But when she sat in the living room, her laptop on her lap, she felt nothing more than nauseated. There were six unread emails that immediately opened. All were from the same source. Suh Kyu Hyuk, Kyu Ree's older brother.

She opened the first, and bit her lip hard as she read.

Please come back home. I miss you. Mom and Dad miss you. I swear I won't force you to return to him, and you can even bring back the person you were speaking of at the ceremony. Please Kyu Ree, I'm so worried.

Kyu Hyuk

I can't stop thinking about how this all happened, sister. I know I wasn't as supportive as I could have been, but I've been under so much stress, and I really thought he was what was good for you. I thought you loved him. Please forgive me for not protecting you like I should have.

Kyu Hyuk

A lawyer is involved now. WooHyun is relentless now that he's seen you. He isn't going to give up.

Kyu Hyuk

I've been told that they've launched an all out investigation. WooHyun is convinced that I'm hiding you. I would if I could, but you won't tell me where you are. Please, just let me know you're safe.

Kyu Hyuk

They've got a few leads, sister. I think it's time for you to either come home, or find a new hiding place.

Kyu Hyuk

Please Kyu Ree, just come back home! We can call all of this investigation nonsense off, and we can start everything over again. You don't have to be with him if you don't want to. I won't force you into anything. Just please, please come home before this gets any more serious.

Kyu Hyuk

Kyu Ree shivered. "Happy Birthday," She said quietly to herself. It was a great way to start it, wasn't it? A day she hated starting with six letters full of things she didn't want to read or know at all. It was going to be stuck in her head all day. What legal actions were being taken? What kind of investigation? She wasn't really missing, and it wasn't a crime to move away from your family once you were stable, right?

Seconds later, Taeil had slid across the couch, wedging himself between the computer and Kyu Ree. Quickly, she knocked the computer out of the way so it closed and tried to pretend it was nothing important, hoping he didn't read the messages.

He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her to him, kissing her gingerly. "Happy Birthday beautiful," He said, kissing the tip of her nose. "Are you hungry? Can I take you for breakfast?" He asked, smiling.

Kyu Ree bit her lip and nodded. "I'll go get dressed," She said lightly, but he didn't let go of her. She stared up at him, and he kissed her again, this time in an almost hungry manner. Kyu Ree wrapped her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist, and he lifted her, carrying her to her bedroom, where he closed the door only to press her against the wall and moved from kissing her lips to kissing her neck. "I thought I was getting dressed," She giggled, and he slowly placed her down.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I did too. It just kind of happened." She laughed and punched his shoulder, and he smirked at her. "You make me do crazy things Kyu Ree."

She laughed again. "I better not be the reason you end up on the news for homicide."

He shook his head. "Not crazy like that. Like," He grabbed his shoulder, where she'd punched him, and looked down. "Sometimes I think about what it would be like if... if you and I were together. Like together together."

"Are we not?" Kyu Ree asked, her heart stopping.

He shook his head. "I mean more than just dating." He said easily. "Sometimes, when I wake up beside you, I think that I would kill to wake up beside you for the rest of my life. And sometimes, I imagine what it would be like to start a family with someone as caring and beautiful as you." Kyu Ree stared at him, dumbfounded by his sudden confession. "Which is pretty crazy, let's face it," He said laughing. "I've only known you a few months and-"

Kyu Ree cut him off by smashing her lips against his, silencing him. She expected him to be shocked, but it was as if he was waiting for her to kiss him, because his arms were immediately around her, and he was kissing her back with such passion, Kyu Ree's knees practically wobbled.

The day seemed to pass quickly. The two went to breakfast, after Taeil showed her just how much he loved her, and the whole time Taeil held her hand and told her repeatedly that she looked gorgeous and he was so happy to be spending the day with her.

He then took her to see an early movie, which was a comedy. Every time she laughed, he looked over at her, and his smile was almost infectious. He then brought her out for lunch at one of her favorite restaurants, followed by a long walk through a peaceful garden.

But just as Kyu Ree was beginning to think things were too perfect, Taeil's phone rang. He bit his lip and looked over to her, not letting go of her hand. "Give me just a second," He said, sliding it from his pocket and answering. "Hello?" He asked, holding the phone to his ear. He was chewing on his lip and nodding his head, even though they couldn't see him. "Right okay. I'll be there in a minute." He said, hanging up and looking to Kyu Ree.

She shrugged. "One of the boys?" She asked.

He nodded. "They're at the club. I guess Jaehyo was helping Akito set up for the set and he caught on fire. He isn't hurt but he needs someone with him to go to the hospital or something."

"Right," Kyu Ree said, making a face.

He laughed. "Okay. I'll try this one. Zico was there-"

"Bullshit."

"How about-"

"I'll just act surprised." Kyu Ree promised, kissing his cheek. "Thanks for trying, but I told you I didn't want a surprise party."

He shrugged his shoulders. "It actually wasn't me. And if it counts for anything, it isn't really for you. It's for Akito. River's throwing it and is trying to use it was a cover to have people bring you presents too." Kyu Ree immediately started laughing. She had forgotten that Akito had the same birthday as she did. "So they said they won't jump out and yell surprise at you, but there is a banner with your name even though we told River not to, and they barriered off a whole part of the club just for us and our friends, and there's a guest DJ. River got two cakes and everyone brought presents so please don't be mad."

Kyu Ree shook her head. "I'm not mad. I just feel bad that everyone went to this trouble-"

"It's absolutely no trouble!" He said, stopping and turning towards her. "We all love you, and we wanted to do this." He stopped, looking down for a moment before meeting her eyes. "I love you," He said, taking a step towards her.

Kyu Ree looked from side to side, making sure no one was watching, and then threw her arms around him, kissing him passionately, uncaring of who was watching. "I love you too, Taeil."