04: Where When What Now

River sat on the couch of her apartment, staring out the very large windows behind the television. Kyu Ree had been in the kitchen for a good hour before she returned carrying a bowl of hangover soup. She placed it in front of River, and then squatted in front of her. “Maybe you should take something for your migraine?”

River shrugged and leaned forward to take the bowl. Koharu had disappeared into River’s room and had yet to return. “Koharu is messing things up already, I know it.” She rolled her eyes. “If she messes with any of my shampoos, I will end her life.”

Kyu Ree smiled. “You invited her over.”

River shrugged. “Because I didn’t want to hear her complain for three hours after the fact.” She lifted the spoon to her lips and blew on the soup. “I’m sorry if she’s in the way. I’ll try to keep her out of your things.”

Kyu Ree shrugged. “It’s only for the night. Hurry up and finish your soup, because we’ve got work soon.”

Kyu Ree was wiping down tables as the other house DJ, Comet, set up the DJ booth. Whatever he had done had created a loud screeching noise for a good five minutes in which everyone was ushered outside to wait for it to die down. For this reason, Kyu Ree was supposed to be watching him.

She’d set up the booth and moved on to the tables, so she didn’t have to wait on him to continue her work. She hated to be delayed in her work due to other incapabilities. It was a huge inconvenience for her.

It was at this time that River burst through the back room doors and started towards the bar,  Hee-Bong on her tail. “What was his name, River?”

“Who?” River asked, clearly pretending she’d no clue what he was talking about.

“The boy!” Hee-Bong spat.

River, who had just crouched down to grab a bottle, shot up and slammed the bottle on the bar, just to stare at her uncle and ask “Which one?” At this point, he gasped loudly, and River smirked. “I’m an adult uncle. I can do what I want-”

“If I find out you're putting your health on the line again, I will revoke your rights to your third of the bar, and make sure you only get a quarter.”

“I’m so scared.” River said, rolling her eyes.

Hee-Bong stared at her for a moment. “You sound just like Koharu. How upsetting. And here I thought you were better than her, more reliable, responsible, and generally a better person, but it seems that it’s true. Old men have incredibly poor sight, and I did not see this day coming.”

River laughed. “That’s too bad uncle. After all, I was the perfect child to begin with. It wasn’t until you brought me here, and had me on as a dancer.”

Hee-Bong looked unfazed by this. “You signed up for the job. I’d nothing to do with it. After all, another man owned the portion of the bar you were hired by. My money has funded your life this far, and it will end if you continue to be unintelligent with your choices, and if you continue to blame me for your negative choices.” With this, Hee-Bong turned and walked away.