42: Shxx

River got back to her apartment not long after she and Haneul had finished talking. Akito was still laying in bed, but he had his phone pressed to his ear. He didn't look happy at all, so River was quiet as she moved into the room, slid off her jacket, and moved towards the bed. He had his head back and his eyes closed, his hand over his face. He was speaking Japanese, which River hadn't quite gotten a handle on yet, so she tried not to interrupt as she sat on the foot of the bed.

Akito groaned audibly. "I don't want to talk about this right now," He said this in English. "Call me back when you have something useful."

He hung up and threw his phone away from him, covering his face with both hands now. River crawled up the bed towards him. She laid on his chest, wrapping her arms around his torso, which caused him to jump. "Stop being so serious babe. It's your birthday. You should be happy."

Akito sighed and turned, wrapping his arms around her and kissing the top of her head. "I think we need to talk about a few things."

River stiffened and looked up at him, eyes wide. "I'm sorry? Did I do something?" She asked.

Akito shook his head and let go of her, sitting up. She followed his lead. "No baby, it's nothing to do with you. Well... it does have to do with you... but you didn't do anything. It's my fault really. And I don't want anything to-"

"What's going on?" River asked flatly. "What happened?"

Akito pressed his lips into a thin line, like he did when he was conflicted and unsure what to do. River had noticed it before and thought it was cute, charming even, but at that moment it was nothing short of nerve wrecking. "River, they're relocating me. I was never supposed to stay in Korea. In fact I was only supposed to be here for three days so I could do that single show at your club. But I missed my flight on purpose. And then I bought a small apartment here. And I haven't returned to Japan once."

"Okay?" River wasn't catching what was wrong with the situation. Was he not allowed to do what he wanted with his own life? She knew his industry was difficult, but really?

He sighed. "I stayed here because I kind of love you, like a lot, and instead of making new music for my albums, I've been spending time with you, ignoring my job to be with you, and the label has taken notice. I think they're who contacted Haneul and sent him my way, with the hopes of getting you back into MMA so you would be distracted, which would give me the time they think I need to make new albums. But they're wrong. If you get back into MMA, I'm going to be there to support you instead of making albums."

River's eyes widened. "Akito,"

"Let me finish," He said with a sigh. "So they're now forcing me to go back to Tokyo. If I don't have an album ready in a month, I'm out of the company, and with the decrease in my activity, no one else will ever sign me. So..." He shook his head and looked down. "I'm leaving tomorrow evening."

River's jaw dropped. "What?!" She hissed. "That's hardly even enough time to-"

"River please," He said, pushing a hand through his hair and looking up at her. "I'll come back. I'll come back to see you every single time you need me I just... I have to work again. I have to do something to keep myself in the game. Besides, I've distracted you from your own work. Maybe... maybe this is for the best."

River could feel her heart aching. Akito couldn't leave. She was just getting comfortable with everything they were. "I," She stopped, trying to keep herself from sounding like she was on the verge of tears, which she was. "I'm sorry I got you in trouble."

"It isn't your fault," Akito said, reaching to tilt her face up towards his. "Baby, it was never your fault. I shouldn't have ignored my job to chase after you."