Chapter forty-one

(Louis' POV)

Winter break was a nice relief from reality, but soon we had to return to school and go back to our normal routines. Monday through Thursday were filled with stress and worries. The musical is Friday. There will be only one show, and I'm worried sick about something messing it all up. Possible scenarios flash through my head of things going wrong. 

I'm pretty sure we rehearsed that musical from start to finish about one hundred times. It got to the point where Harry had to stop me and tell me to calm down. I can't explain how nervous I am. So many people are relying on me for this to be absolutely perfect. 

And now it's Friday, which means that the musical starts at eight o'clock tonight. I start freaking out every time I think about it, so I push it to the back of my head. 

I walk into the cafeteria and smile at the familiar crowed of faces. Niall and Liam are sitting down, laughing cutely with each other. Zayn waves at me, and so does Harry. Ed, Cher, Perrie and Stan all sit around the table, too. They've all started to welcome me. It's really nice. 

I've come to the conclusion that Zayn has figured out that Harry and I are together. We never told him directly, but I'm pretty sure he realized it after we saw him and Alex at the restaurant on my birthday.  I don't think he minds, though. He'll keep our secret if we keep his.

I sit next to Harry, in between him and Zayn. "How ya' feeling? Nervous?" Harry asks me, gripping my hand underneath the table, out of everybody else's sight. I play with his fingers and sigh.

"Definitely." I say. My knee bounces up and down and my foot taps against the floor.

"Don't be. Everything will be fine, I promise," he assures me.  He takes another bite of his banana. I smile softly but still feel my stomach bubble with nervousness.

"Yeah, don't freak out, mate. Haven't you directed a musical before?" Zayn asks me.

"Well, yes, but usually I've had help.  I've had an assistant director in the past, but now it's just me," I explain. I take a big bite of my sandwich and swallow it dryly, then take a sip of Harry's water. He rolls his eyes at me and I just smile sheepishly.

"Everything will be fine," Liam tells me. 

I hope he's right.

The rest of the day goes by in a flash. I can't even focus in any of my classes because I'm so nervous about tonight. All of the drama club students are staying after school. We're all going to practice and work our asses off until the premiere. 

The final bell rings and it sets off an alarm in my head. Here it goes. The next few hours have to be absolutely perfect and nothing can go wrong. Not single hair can be out of place.

I shovel all of my folders into my bag and carelessly sling it over my shoulder. I race over the auditorium, pushing through the crowed of students. I want to be the first one there. I notice all of the posters hung up around the school about the musical. I have such high expectations. 

I open up the doors and they squeak as I walk inside. The auditorium is completely empty. The stage is already set up, and it's the first time that I've seen all of the pieces together in one unit. To the left of the stage is Juliet's window, which is wooden and painted to look like bricks. It looks absolutely beautiful. The lights hang over the stage and shine down on the stage, illuminating the floor in a yellowish tone. The first scene is in the town, when the servants Capulets and the Montagues fight. There's going to be staged sword fighting scene, too.