Chapter thirty-one

(Harry's POV)

After dropping Louis off at his house, I drive back to our mansion. I hesitate at first and consider staying the night at Zayn or Liam's place instead. After all, I wouldn't be missed at home. I haven't talked to my mum or dad since last night, when we had that very awkward family chat about my sexual preferences.

Jenna visited my room this morning and tried to comfort me, but I shooed her out of my room and told her that I wanted to be alone. I don't really want to talk about it and I think Louis figured that out. I was surprised that he didn't mention it during school today. I think he got my vibe that I didn't want to discuss it quite yet.

I know I won't be missed at home, but I figure that I should probably go home anyway. I'm already in deep shit with my parents and I don't really want to make the issue even worse. So I head across town to the rich side of the city. It's amazing to see the difference between Louis and I's living conditions.

I pull into our driveway and stop at the golden gates. I press the buzzer and after a few long moments, the gates open up and I'm allowed inside the barrier of white fence surrounding our property. The previously green grass in the front yard has now turned into a minty color with frost coating it.

I pull into one of the garages and park the car inside. We have three garages; one of them is for my parents, the second is for junk and boxes full of rubbish, and the third is for my car, bikes, four-wheelers, dirt bikes and such. I guess you could say I was spoiled as a kid, and still am, which is not something I'm proud of.

Inside of the small structure are several bikes lined up against the walls. I think back to the time my dad taught me how to ride a bike when I was younger. I remember that I was so scared and he promised that he wouldn't let me fall. He held onto the bike and assured me that I wouldn't get hurt. As I approached a big hill, I remember that he let go and at the time I was unaware of this. After I reached the end of the hill, I looked back and realized that he had let me go.

I asked him why he did, and he said that he knew I could do it myself. He said that I could do anything I wanted to if I set my mind to it. He had faith in me.

My dad wasn't always this angry old man that he is now. He started distancing himself from me when he got a job promotion. He was often in his office from dusk until dawn and didn't have any time for me. He completely transformed into a different man when he got that new job. Looking back, it's amazing to think of how he used to be such a caring, loving father. That's not very true anymore.

Sighing deeply at the memory of my father's past, I walk into the house and scurry up to my bedroom as soon as possible. My dad is most likely locked up in his office right now, and my mum is probably at the store. Still, I'm not taking any chances of coming face to face with either one of them.

I walk into my room, rolling my eyes and the cleanliness of it. The air smells fresh and the floors are vacuumed. My bed is made and the pillows are stacked neatly. I decide to take a shower to clear my head.

I strip off my clothes, shivering as the cold air touches my skin. The air begins to steam and the mirror fogs up with condensation. My muscles seem to relax inside my body and all of my worries are whisked away.

I step into the shower and scrub my body with soap, closing my eyes to avoid the possibility of stinging them. I lather myself slowly, taking as much time as I need. I feel myself losing all of my tension and anxiety as the warm water trickles down my body. I have a really bad back and posture so the pain in my back seems to melt away.

I lather my hair in shampoo and conditioner, humming the tune of "They Don't Know About Us" to myself. I love the song and I can't believe that Louis wrote it. It fits in perfectly with the theme of the musical.