Twenty-Seven || When We Break

Start from the beginning

"No worries, Anakin," Obi-Wan assures, "You are hurt and confused. I don't blame you for trying to turn the situation upon somebody else."

Mace exhales, probably thinking everyone else in the hallway had forgotten his presence. "All right, I really believe we should return to Coruscant now. Inform the Council of the failed negotiation."

Obi-Wan nods and turns around to Anakin, who crosses his arms. "Yeah. Yeah, we should get back..." He looks over his shoulder barely at the still-crying Desmond, an image of a boy who had just lost everything.

An image of a boy who just lost everything.

Anakin had to blink instantly to relieve his mind of the dreadful image, himself holding his limp mother in his arms. Everything was so familiar... Back then, he was the boy who had lost everything. Granted, he still had Padmé, Obi-Wan...

But Desmond had truly lost everything. From his parents, to even his home, and now the only person he can truly say he ever loved. Anakin winced in minor pain from trying to emplace himself into the boy's situation - it was far too painful for him to think of enduring.

Anakin shook his head and extended a hand to Desmond, who reluctantly accepted it. Anakin heaves him up to his feet, and Desmond, now embarrassed of the scene he caused, brushes himself off and stands straight. "Uh, yeah, we should... go. I think that would be smart."

All the Jedi look at Desmond, but their looks are suddenly broken at the sound of metal banging and dozens of shuffling feet. Clones, thinks Anakin, she has so many of them here.

"Come on," Mace hesitantly says as all three Jedi ignite their lightsabers - the radiant purple and blue colors shock Desmond into being mesmerized, but he follows their lead. They know Desmond has no defense - and the Clones wouldn't take to their presences too lightly. They were lucky to had gotten inside the hangar without trouble in the first place... but now they had to get out.

And it wasn't going to be easy.

Desmond felt it was exciting, pretending to be on a "Jedi mission" with the three men as they lead him down the corridor, getting closer to the sound of Clones.

They came to a turn in the hallway, breaking off into the hangar. Mace directed the four of them to stand against the wall. Obi-Wan peered around the corner, and immediately shoots his head back behind the wall, shrilly whispering, "There's many of them, all in the hangar."

"What should we do?" whispers Desmond in return.

"They're standing guard," informs Obi-Wan, "And they aren't going to let us leave without a fight."

"I can't defend myself," Desmond whispers, suddenly worried.

Obi-Wan exhales as gently as able to be unheard. "You have to stay here."

Desmond begins to shake his head in objection, but Obi-Wan continues. "We'll retrieve you when it's safe."

Anakin, Mace and Obi-Wan dart out into the open hangar, and Desmond's heart sinks in anticipation. They're Jedi, he thinks, They're trained for stuff like this. They'll all be fine.

The sounds of dozens of blasters and the brisk hum of the lightsabers rings through his ears as he awaits behind the metal wall, only listening to the action. The Clones seemed alarmed by the Jedi's entrance, but the Jedi seemed outnumbered.

He pokes his head around the corner, and lets his breath go when he sees all the Jedi are still standing, and the number of Clones is gradually decreasing. The three Jedi all stand in a back-to-back formation in the center of the huge hangar, defending one another as the Clones surround them, blasters shooting green lasers from every direction.