Chapter 12: Before the Ball

Sophie descended down the stairs gracefully, her dress swishing at the ankles. Grady and Edaline stood at the bottom of the stairs, watching her in awe.

        "You look beautiful," Edaline sighed.

        "And so grown up," Grady tearfully added.

        Sophie gave them a small, sad smile. "I'll miss you." Today was her last day before she left to join the Black Swan.

Edaline pulled her in for a hug. Grady joined in, making it a group hug. "We love you Sophie," they said.

Sophie began to tear up. "I love you too, Mom. You too, Dad." Edaline and Grady looked pleasantly shocked. It was the first and last time she would address them as her parents. They held on to each other for a while longer.

"Am I interrupting something?"

They turned around to see Biana underneath the Leapmaster. Grady and Edaline pulled away. "Not at all," he said.

Sophie led Biana upstairs. They were going to get ready for the ball together. Though, by the looks of it, Biana had already dolled herself up. Her thin, silver dress shimmered as she walked, and she wore the teal necklace Sophie had given her, with teardrop earrings to match. Her hair was already in elaborate curls, framed her face that was perfected with makeup.

Biana seemed to know her thoughts. "I know I'm already ready, I just got so excited I couldn't wait! And this way we have more time to get you ready!"

Sophie sat in front of the mirror, with Biana behind her. Vertina popped up in a flash. "Oh my, you're pretty," she said.

      Sophie gazed down at her dress. "Thank you."

     Vertina rolled her eyes. "I didn't mean you. I meant her." Her eyes flicked toward Biana.

     Biana blushed. "What a nice... mirror."

     "Her name's Vertina," Sophie explained. "She used to be one of Jolie's closest friends.

    Biana stared at the mirror. "What is she?"

"She's a part of the mirror. She's supposed to help you with fashion and styling your hair and stuff."

Vertina huffed. "Fine. Just talk about me like I'm not even here!" With an evil glance directed at Sophie, she disappeared.

"She's... Interesting," Biana said.

"She doesn't like me very much."

"That's too bad. You're a great person," Biana said as she reached for the curler. Sophie stopped her.

"I'm not sure if I want curls. It'd be a little too fancy for me."

    "I can put your hair up in a ponytail and then curl that. It's still casual, but it looks prettier."

    "That sounds good. Thanks."

    "No problem."

    They were silent as Biana brushed her hair. It felt so soothing.

    "Hey... Biana," Sophie started. "Are you okay with me and Fitz?"

    Biana stayed quiet for a little while. Sophie began to worry. Did I make her mad? Maybe she didn't hear me? Or she doesn't want to answer?

    Biana took a deep breath before speaking. "It's a little weird having my best friend and my brother crushing on each other."

    Sophie nodded. She put herself in Biana's place. It would be weird.

     Biana continued. "But he's had girls chasing him for years. And most of them used me to get close to him. But you didn't. You actually cared, and still do care, about me. That's how I knew you'd be good for him. You weren't obsessed with him like he was an idol like everyone else. You didn't treat interactions with him like a huge accomplishment like every girl who bragged about talking to him- you just listened and treated him like a person. And he started to treat you more like a friend than a sister."

     Sophie blinked. She always felt like he thought her as another younger sister. She was glad that changed.

     "Anyway, you guys would be perfect together. You both trust each other, and even strengthen each other when it comes to Telepathy. If anyone was to marry Fitz, I'd want it to be you," Biana finished.

Sophie looked up in the mirror. Biana was grinning. Sophie smiled to herself. She was glad Biana approved.

The rest of the time Biana spent experimenting with makeup on Sophie's face before finally settling for a light coat of foundation and a light blush with pink lipstick. Both girls admired their reflections.

Edaline poked her head in the room. "You girls might want to hurry. The dance starts in ten minutes!"

Biana squealed. "I can hardly wait! Let's go!"

They quickly rushed down the stairs to the Leapmaster. Sandor joined them there, fulfilling his duty as her bodyguard to the very last second.

The light swept them away, bringing them to what would be the night of their life.

***Authors Note***
Ahhh! More Biana! (Sorry, I think she's a character that needs to be represented more).
I'm planning on writing three more chapters. We're so close to the end!
Don't forget to vote and comment!
~InkheadWriter